The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a heavy duty chopper drive for the 96XX combines? I am cutting 120 bu milo that has not had a frost yet. It has been a long time since I had to cut milo without a frost, and I'd forgotten how weak the chopper drive is. The harvesting limit is the low chopper speed alarm, not the grain loss monitor. The hammers and the knives have 300 acres of soybeans on them.

I hope this is the worst milo I will have this year, so the problem is going to get worse. Without the frost the dust isn't near as bad, but it looks like I'm going to have to power wash the cleaning shoe to get the sap off after a couple of days.

Moisture started about 15% at 1pm, dropped to 13.8 by 6pm, and climbed to 16.5 in 5 minutes at sunset. Ground conditions are saturated, had 2.8" rain Sunday night. 20.8-38 duals front and 28L26 rears with RWA are carrying ok. The RWA is just to get out of greasy spots, if I need it through the field its time to quit. Tires are sinking to the lugs, they spin and carry mud in only the wet spots.

Any of you Texas guys have suggestions for green milo?

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Educate me. Milo strikes me as as a crop of corn X wheat. With out frost I gather it's tough stuff to deal with. I would have gladly shared the Aug 11 frost only now if that would help. Took my wheat grades from penthouse to outhouse.

Don

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 9600 and 10 have the single v belt drive but I believe the fine cut or wide spread fine cut choppers may have updated them to the double v type belt drive.

50 and 60 series have the heavier drive system standard, some of the earlier 50's may not, but most do.

To retrofit that drive system would be costly, ie several pulleys, idlers, brackets and I don't tink deere sells a whole goods kit to convert to a heavier drive.

Take a good look at your belts and especially the pulleys to see how worn they are, worn pulleys on the drive system will make belts slip easier, alos are you running the chopper in hi speed and how far are your stationary knives in?

jd

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for frost on wheat, the Easter freeze did the same thing to mine.

Milo is a weak perennial. A frost will kill the top leaves that usually go thru the combine. It is a native of Africa, and was usually known as Kaffir Corn in the early 1900's. That is one advantage of corn and soybeans being annuals, they stop using moisture and die when the reproductive stage is over.

It's worst trait is the dust itches.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bent:

I am harvesting milo right now, too. This is only about the second time I can remember the milo being ~this green...the stalks, I mean..

As for your chopper, I would follow the previous posters' posts. Maybe yours' is greener than mine ((?) don't see how it could be
) Right now, my milo is standing (100%), and I am sending a good 12-14" of stalk through the machine. There are a few heads "down (low) in there", and I want 'em all. Yesterday, our moisture started at darn near 16%, and got down to 'bout 14.9 at its driest point. Test weight @ 60 lbs./bu.
I am telling you this trying to give you a description of my conditions ; and to say that my [9600's] chopper is doing seemingly fine. My stationary knives and rotating knives are new, except for this years wheat harvest. The drive belt is new, too.

I wish I could be of more help. I know to "look at your stuff more closely" is not the answer you are looking for...

I hope you can get this issue resolved, as it looks (for now, anyway) that we (you and me, and them) are going to get it all cut before it frosts..
My ground conditions are not as soupy as yours', but I have gummed the gap between my duals in several places...
I just love digging that gap out between those combine tires, don't you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts