The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a Mike Mitchel Youtube of combine critiques. Was showing the Deere chopper knives that had wings to create a suction. Got me wondering why they do that.

The larger question I am wondering, does the suction that the chopper makes keep the dust flowing through the whole combine? Is that a reason that Deere's don't have near the feeder house dust that a Lexion does? That was one of the biggest drawbacks going from Deere to Lexion. Wondering if anyone experimented with that?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
The larger question I am wondering, does the suction that the chopper makes keep the dust flowing through the whole combine?
Zero (0) effect.
Chopper so far removed from the dust generating APS/cylinder/impeller until air drawing rotors, no way to have any effect from the chopper.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the new dust collection system on the 8000's work any better than the old style? And, when running the new higher speed on the rotors, does it have any effect on drawing dust through? It always seemed to me that the rotors would draw more air through

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Does the new dust collection system on the 8000's work any better than the old style? And, when running the new higher speed on the rotors, does it have any effect on drawing dust through? It always seemed to me that the rotors would draw more air through
Yes, the new full width feeder house suction is more effective.
But there is still some as compared any direct feeder chain to rotor unit.
Even New Holland adding the DPS in front of the rotors created more dust my neighbour tells me.

Doubt rotor speed has any significant effect on feeder dust exit but never adjusted that with any thought of whether it would or not.

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
Trex have you taken the top shield off on the fan housing to make sure there is no straw build-up blocking the fan? We mainly straight cut and dust at the feeder house is rarely a problem with our lexions.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Trex have you taken the top shield off on the fan housing to make sure there is no straw build-up blocking the fan? We mainly straight cut and dust at the feeder house is rarely a problem with our lexions.
We straight cut most things and found dust can be a big problem with ours. The fan plugs up on ours after about 20 minutes so we quit cleaning it. The HP feeder only has half the size of fan opening which I think is a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
Our fans have worked well with our 590s with the HP feeder house. We have taken off the covers various times and it has been clean. I remember years ago people were putting a wire mesh or something in the hole in the feeder house that the fan sucks from to prevent it from plugging. If the fan was plugged dust would be an issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our fans have worked well with our 590s with the HP feeder house. We have taken off the covers various times and it has been clean. I remember years ago people were putting a wire mesh or something in the hole in the feeder house that the fan sucks from to prevent it from plugging. If the fan was plugged dust would be an issue.
I don’t know how your fans stay clean. I’ve tried the wire mesh..tried putting a spacer between cover and feeder house but the area under the fan plugs after a few minutes in soybeans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts