The Combine Forum banner

Chopper or impeller!!

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  silverrod 
#1 ·
I just traded my 78 for a '15 88, I'm thinking of putting the impeller in instead of chopper. I cut wheat, corn and lot's of green-steam soybeans. I no it will handle wheat and corn but what abought soybeans? Will it be agressive enough to pull all that material out of the discharge or will it plug easy. I run a 40 ft. dynaflex and never had any issues with chopper, just wanting to try the impeller.

#3 · (Edited)
I got my 78 with an impeller it runs at 950rpm. My reasoning for running an impeller was my R70 had it and I had no problems. I had the high speed small chopper in the 67 and still had blockages in cage and blades wearing.
With the impeller I had not one sign of cage build up . Peas were the only thing I harvested with green stems and I have no issue with the job it did. Early mornings in wheat I would have longer straw but that doesn't bother me. I harvested canola all night with no issues. During the heat of the day you would be flat out picking the difference between chopper and impeller. I had my high speed chopper as back up but its on the market.
As I only grow cereals ,peas and canola I couldn't tell you how it would go in other crops.
Don't know why it is out dated technology, It works
I too were running a 40' dynaflex

#5 ·
I don't farm, just custom work, and there's not any no-til. When we ran the N's we had all impellers but one, never saw much difference in residue chop. The thing I did like was not having to change blades every so often. Plus it should take less hp. and have cobs come out whole, the chopper has to breake them up bad. Like I said, just wanting to try one again but a little concerend in tall, green steamed beans. If anyone has any experience with it in beans, please let me no if it will work. Thanks for the replies.

#10 ·
I asked the Agco engineer and the reply was that straight worked better. At present I'm doing 4t/Ha (60 bus) wheat with straw that you can't even break and its working great. In Similar barley and green straw it was leaving straw on top unbroken and I was thinking off putting my chopper in but a mate with a 78 with chopper says his is not cutting it , but as this is our second harvest I suspect his blades are worn. I tried some peas that were still green and the Impeller worked fine. We look like getting rain so I may put the chopper in to help the barley straw as it may cause trouble at planting. look at Silverrod on TV and youll see it with the impeller but that was in Barley that was doing 1.9t/h

#11 ·
hi fellas, thanks for the input on that. installed the new blades yesterday. old ones were very badly worn, as you can see from my picture.shouldve done that months ago, had a heck of a time in tough green soybeans with it. now just to find a belt, ordered an oem one, but it seems the prev owner of this machine put a bigger pulley on the impeller drive shaft. one i got isnt even close to big enough. i'll check out your video silverrod. thanks again

#12 ·
Just switched my r66 from fine cut to impellar and am glad I did. I hate that chopper. I no-til 70% of my acres and will have no issues next year. We've been running 60-70 bu. beans and I am very pleased with the residue. Also I have more power which helps on hills running my draper.

#13 ·
We have basically no beaters in our part of the country. The one time I did it was a well tuned rotor and helical setup in R62. The machine was dead in the field. We figured constipation from the flat blades on the discharge beater. That was the ticket for we flipped them and the machine took off like it should.

#14 ·
I couldn't understand all these years Agco said to use serrated side for cereals and that's why I asked Agco the reasoning for S8 series only having flat blades and their reply was that field engineers said they worked better? I do wonder maybe I shoud get a serrated set and try them . I did have 3 rotor blocks in green straw in one day when I started and that is a first for me and I was wondering if the impeller was the problem but I did not notice the impeller losing rpm. I was talking and not concentrating on what I was doing when they happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.