The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2388. Has anyone ever left the chopper pan in the (up) position and the chopper on the fast pulley for corn. I would like to chop my stalks up more for corn back to corn and was wondering if I could use the same settings for corn as I do beans.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The chopper and back of the combine will slowly vibrate apart if you leave it in high range. We traded for 4 9750 combines that had been run in high always and the rear of the machine had lots of fatigue cracks showing because of the chopper vibration in high running larger material through it. I think you can do it but be ready to spend some money replacing cracked pieces.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I really can't imagine the benfit outweighing the extra wear and tare. you really shouldn't have a significant amount of stalks going through the machine and what does comes out pretty chopped up already because it was very brittle to start with and the stalk rolls didn't pull it down. most of what comes out the back is husks and cobs. most guys looking for better stalk management are going to a chopper head. what kind of head you running?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running just a standard 1083. Was hoping that any benefit would be better than nothing. The more I think about it, you're right. Not much more than cobs and husks come out the back. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you are running notill than leave the trash as high as posible so next spring when you plant you will have the least amount of cover on the ground therefore it will dry out quicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts