The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about corn but if you are running a stripper head you aren't handling much material are you? Soybeans might be an issue. We only harvest cereals so the chopper is the way for us with chem fallow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i run strip till and have problems if the stalks are not chopped, but can't justify the cost of a chopping head. in certain soy varieties the stalks are greener and seem to clump with a spreader so i would vote for the chopper.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I should clarify a few things, we are mostly corn on the fall crops now, and are going from an 893 to a 1293 but it will have knife rolls and we don't grow any soybeans anymore it's either milo or corn. My biggest concern is if the milo goes down and have to use the row head on it but with the wheat it won't be a problem and with corn it shouldn't be a problem unless it goes down or something of that nature.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have been working for producers that no-till and minimum till since the mid 80's and their biggest concern is the even spreading of the straw and chaff. They haven't been concerned about the length of the wheat straw, they just want it spread as far out as we can get it. This all varies with wind speed and direction. The no-till operators are now leaning toward the chopper plus powercast tailboard. I haven't seen a spreader work lately, if they can get the straw as well as the chaff spread to your liking, go for the spreader. Clumps behind the 635F might be your only problem if the beans are tough.

kb

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a-lot of customers running case IH rotors using The Disrupter lugs to cut the straw before it gets to the spreader for a better spread with smaller pieces. We now have The Disrupter lugs for the J D STS machines. cmweldinginc.com/

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Okay question looms, we are looking at a new combine on the farm... Chopper or Spreader, and yes I already know the pro's & con's but want some outside input on this as I already have my own opinion but want others. We are 100% no till... run a 1293 corn head, CVS 32 stripper head, 635F flex head, and 853A row head... run 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 wheat / fall crops / fallow... what would you run and why?

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have spreader with 36'head and 8 row corn head,in soybeans it worked well spreading straw and pod about 30' evenly with no clumps.So we put the wide spread disc on and could spread both easily 36'but had a very small clump once in a while,do not think we will have any problem in the spring but this was our first year so we will see.If all we ran was corn there is no way I would buy a chopper, the spreader is smooth and I would think takes a lot less HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts