The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 496 disks that the pins that hold the tongue to the frame, keep falling out. I think they're 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" diameter and about 4" long. They're just held in place by a cotter pin or hair pin. I'd feel safer with something a little longer and something stronger than a hair pin. I lost the originals and currently have pull pins in their place. What should I use, large pull pin, hardened bolt, or something else?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the idea of a grade 8 bolt, but it might wear the holes bigger because of the hardness of the bolt. A grade 5 bolt may be the best answer. I'd rather it show signs of bending as opposed to just breaking.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
If you are concerned about bending then I would use a grade 8. If the tounge rotates around the bolt then a grade 8 would be better for wear. The only thing I was not sure is if it would be too brittle. I do not think that would be a problem so a grade 8 may be a better choice. On my IH cutivator the bolt has a bit of a bend in it but we are sometimes pulling on it with 500hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.