The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CIH wants $139 per hydraulic oil filter and my combine needs 2 of them. Will a Baldwin filter($73) meet the specs of my 1680 and allow my hydro to work properly? I use generic filters for a lot of things but I am not sure I should for the hydro.

·
Registered
562 Posts
same filter just different color. case dealer that supports sprayers for coop i work sells baldwin filters for hydraulics

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hydraulic charge filters for my sprayer from CNH: $78 From Baldwin: $13

Wanna guess which ones I bought?;)

It's pretty ridiculous really.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Few years ago dealer gave me Donaldson Hyd filters for our Massey swather, put them on and nothing seemed to work right, rotor shears would jam on anything constant high pitch squeal. Checked everything couldn't find anything wrong finally tried changing filters to agco and everything was good again no squeal and rotor shears would cut small trees again.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
We use aftermarket filters all the time. The only thing to watch is some of the hydraulic filters come in two different numbers even from CNH. In checking one will filter down to a smaller micron and of course is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Since you aren't having to worry about warranty or anything...buy a high quality aftermarket filter and go out for a steak dinner with what you save!
I don't think they can deny a warranty claim based on filter brand, pretty sure that is illegal. Deere guys are the only ones I ever hear that from though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't think they can deny a warranty claim based on filter brand, pretty sure that is illegal. Deere guys are the only ones I ever hear that from though.
Technically they cant unless they supply them. (Some brands do).

However they can still try to prove it was the filter and if it is the filter your on the hook. Your costs during the warranty period for filters are not astronomical and many aftermarket companies haven't caught up to the new ones until you are off of warranty anyways. For some its easiest to just use the OEM ones until off warranty.

I use a lot of other brands more often than any OEM filter and haven't had any issues. If you get the time though double check everything, not every aftermarket filter is adequate or a better deal. Napa Gold spin on filters for the Allison in pickups are twice the price of the OEM ones from the Allison dealer. Some of Cat's filters are only a dollar or two more than Napa Gold at times as well. I don't like buying from too many places and try to limit it to keep things simple.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
However they can still try to prove it was the filter and if it is the filter your on the hook.
My neighbor had a Mccormik MTX 230 with engine failure due to a faulty air filter made by Donaldson.

Donaldson ate the cost of that motor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
same filter just different color. case dealer that supports sprayers for coop i work sells baldwin filters for hydraulics
Have u ever cut a filter open to see if they are the same on the inside

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Have u ever cut a filter open to see if they are the same on the inside
I was talking with the parts manager at Straubs and he was at the fleet guard factory when they changed filter brands, he said a horn sounded an the paint guns cleaned them selves, then the filters were coming out painted for deere. He said the filters never changed other then color. Fleet guard also makes a lot of cnh filters. We personal have never had a problem due to a Baldwin filter, and they are 10% of the cost of oem through truck parts and equipment.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
That I don't know, been a year or to ago already, I'll jump him next time I see him for a refresher.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My neighbor had a Mccormik MTX 230 with engine failure due to a faulty air filter made by Donaldson.

Donaldson ate the cost of that motor.
Quality companies like Donaldson often will. Same thing with many engine oils like Delo, no you don't have to pay extra or be apart of a program either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts