The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 8120 combine what’s better a big or small rotor. I do mostly cereals

·
Registered
295 Posts

I’m not a case guy but this old thread talks about large and small tube options which is what I assume your asking about.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Most machines on the market are normal, large tube rotors. As cptusa says, you don't normally have a choice when dealing with used machines. Unless you wanted to buy a new rotor.

The small tube rotor was originally designed for rice, but at one time Case was pushing it for small grains also. However, over the years some people have felt the small tube rotor had more losses than the large tube, and that it was harder to get the concave and rotor settings tuned. White caps, etc. We've run small tube rotors for years (and large tube also) and have never had any real issues with losses or threshing compared to the large tube rotor. We had a 7010 with a small tube rotor in it years ago, and it outperformed our 8120 with a normal rotor in terms of capacity. We're now running two 72*0s with small tube rotors in them.

My local dealer tells me they sell some small tube rotors in Northern Alberta where they deal with tough straw all the time.

A local hutterite colony bought some machines with small tube rotors in them a few years ago and weren't at all happy with them. Swapped the rotors out for normal rotors mid season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts