The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 JD combines, 2 X9650 2x 9660 an a 9610. The 4 50 and 60 series machines have continuing electrical problems,which all appear to be corner post board problems. machines not starting , return to cut not working properly, acre meters zeroing every time they are switched off.unloading auger swing not working properly. Generally making the machines very unreliable. 1 machine is on its third board and only just completed its third harvest. I am very dissatisfied with there reliability and would consider it totally unacceptable from any manufacturer let alone Deere, who claim reliability as a part of their sales pitch. They need to look very long and hard at their electrics and aim for the same dependability of the electrical system of the 9610 series, which to date has had no problems. The dealers bend us over down here on the price of replacement boards, with the last one costing in excess of $2000 WITH TRAVEL AND INSTALLATION. Is there anyone there who can supply boards direct to me , as the exchange rate is very favorable at the moment, but the dealers down here arnt passing it on. Or better still some one who makes an after market board that works , and is reliable.
Regards Downunder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have checked all wireing harness, though this is not that simple, problems in plugs and middle of wireing loums undetectable. I need one of the Technichians computer disks with all the error codes and flow charts on how to diagnose and fix the problems. A JD service manager told me once that there was a bunch of crap boards , and were doing claims on them, but they wouldnt tell which serial numbers were affected. That was 2 years ago, there would be no chance of a claim now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Part of the problems you have are the same that I have with my 50 walker im on my 2nd corner post and the second armrest control module, which if you havent changed one yet im sure its next, its a similar circuit board at the cost of $600 each. I added another machine to my fleet,, a 9600 which seem to be trouble free as far as electrical. I had the same signs you have as far as limited functions.
Im positive there are no aftermarket options especially when your talking about modules which control hundreds of functions. The recent cornerpost control module I changed was causing the AC to quit, cant harvest wighout AC, I know what you up against, my downtime alone could have bought a weeks worth of fuel.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i would say you want to check your ground connections, especially the one in the main junction on the back right side of cab, there is a ground connection in there, with several wires going to a common ground, make sure that your wires aren't corroded of dirty

it may be your problem and it may not be, but it is something worth checking

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know nothing when it comes to working on green combines but I work on lots of green tractors I have a customer with a 4955 we are on the third circuit relay board in pretty much a year, the last two times its just to get the turn signals to work, its a printed circuit board, on the backside where the prints run you can see "bubbles" in the prints and bad solder connections, it looks to me just like a piece of crap board manufacturing job, let me tell you this customer is PISSED at $800 bucks a pop this is what it takes to make his left blinker work
All three local dealers keep these boards on inventory so what's that tell ya

Oh yeah and I've checked the blinker fluid

I'll say in another 20 years (or sooner) the 7720s and 1460s will still be running and the machines that are new today will be sitting in the weeds

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks every one for your help. Still got the problems though. May have got some good hints to limit the number in the future. The cam bus system is just too unreliable for the conditions they work in. The circuit boards are just priced to high. You can buy a PC with monitor and every thing for less than one board, rediculous! If they were a couple of hundred dollars we could carry one in our kit and replace it as soon as we had trouble.
Seen a 9400 T the other day, which they couldnt steer, every thing worked mechanicaly but the board had a problem which keep cuting the steering out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts