The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The shutters on the front three concaves (6 sections each rotor) are arranged such that 4 shutters of the outside of downhill rotor and 4 on the inside of the uphill rotor close with the same linkage/hydraulic cylinder.
In this vid covers are closed completely and then opened completely, can't show you 4D here, that would require actually running machine and be over 4 degrees lateral angle.

Each concave has 9 divisions so with 8 shutters even when completely closed the very bottom division is open.

The shutters that stay closed at the top of the frame are the manual covers control by a valve on the side of the combine, all 9 divisions close on those, the 4D shutters are either automatic or manual from the seat.

NFI how well it's going to function, I do know one of the fields to harvest this fall goes from 20 degrees one way to twenty degrees the opposite way in 100 meters of travel, Elnora rolling hills here 4D comes!

By the way, by making a 5 second video and then simply pausing it or scrolling to position beats our Photobucket extortion friends!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Don, are you looking forward to this technology? I haven't heard of you or many others complain about sieve overload on side hills. For me...narrow body 740 with 40', dry conditions and side hills slow me down. The 3d sieve can't compensate for what has fallen downhill before it reaches the sieve.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don, are you looking forward to this technology? I haven't heard of you or many others complain about sieve overload on side hills. For me...narrow body 740 with 40', dry conditions and side hills slow me down. The 3d sieve can't compensate for what has fallen downhill before it reaches the sieve.
Yes, we have hills this should help considerably.
I've seen where shoe losses would spike for a short period of time and suspect evener loading of the shoe would cure it.
One question is will the reduced rotor separation affect rotor loss, won't be a canola issue but not sure on other crops.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How are those with 4D separation liking it? I have my doubts on effectiveness but am sure it will help some.
Ah, much wiser on 4D now!
In conditions where shutters need to be open for separation they do help even shoe load.
But where they need to be closed and especially this year with some chalk dry swathed canola 4D is the ****s!
Each rotor concave has 9 sections but when completely closed for the canola only 7 sections are closed the way things are arranged, the very middle, lowest (bottom) section remains open as well as center most toward middle section.
So you have two rows of 6 sections directly under the center of each rotor moving down the rotor pan stacking two streams of extra chaff 1/3 and 2/3's of the way across the grain pan/chaffer.
The outside two sections of chaffer run the normal, minimal chaff load, the inner four sections become overloaded and a clean sample and the low losses I used to enjoy are very difficult to achieve.
It is bad enough I had 12 plugs made up and in fact hope to install this morning, facing a week of standing canola I need to get back to normal cleaning.

So the moral of this story, if you have lots of hills and don't harvest canola you could consider 4D.
If canola is a major crop for you in North America and you order 4D I will shoot you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don I assume you must run auto separation because running auto separation you must run 4d flap control. When class puts the extra flaps on to permanently cover inside sections and the flap to cover 5 would you run AS and thereby 4d? Or did you swear off auto sep?

4d flap control only happens on slops 4 degrees or more laterally is that correct?

I made flaps to cover 5the way claas does it. Just trying to see if I should leavegrate 3 as is? Watching video depending on slope it may only control 4d flaps on front grate and if the angle continues to increase it the shuts grate 2 and so on.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don I assume you must run auto separation because running auto separation you must run 4d flap control. When class puts the extra flaps on to permanently cover inside sections and the flap to cover 5 would you run AS and thereby 4d? Or did you swear off auto sep?

4d flap control only happens on slops 4 degrees or more laterally is that correct?

I made flaps to cover 5the way claas does it. Just trying to see if I should leavegrate 3 as is? Watching video depending on slope it may only control 4d flaps on front grate and if the angle continues to increase it the shuts grate 2 and so on.
Some last season pics

Auto separation and 4D on as front concave is completely closed, concave two closed only on the downhill side in this medium slope hill.

These two pics were within less than a minute of each other.
A greater side slope, all downhill side rotor covers closed and to offset downhill separation area loss the front concave has opened the uphill side on concave one.
Usually let 4D and Auto separation handle things but I would never accuse it of being perfectly logical all the time.
4D more consistent than Auto separation though.
Historically, it has been better every year of software updating.

·
Registered
624 Posts
So when it covers bottom section it is a better operating system for you and allows for clean samples and low losses? I was reading on it and it actually slowly adjusts the uphill and downhill side based on how much capacity it thinks it has.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So when it covers bottom section it is a better operating system for you and allows for clean samples and low losses? I was reading on it and it actually slowly adjusts the uphill and downhill side based on how much capacity it thinks it has.
Too much going on the give full appreciation to the effect all this has but shoe losses fall significantly and rotor loss rises slightly when these actions taken by 4D so overall losses much less.

While searching for this also came across an example of the overly aggressive and now defunct raised staggered finger rotor separation grates of 2020 sea greens.

Note high rotor loss, all 4 rotor grate covers closed.

Roughly ten seconds later after I manually opened one (1) rotor cover.
Dramatic change with overly aggressive rotor grates.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don do you know the bulletin number that added the 5th cover. Our little idea here didn’t quite work as planned to cover it. I know swman had posted it last year but that image is gone. Trying to get it to my parts guy and no one can find it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I found part number for the plates to cover section 5
#2765 1492 are the cover plates that attach to section 4 covers.
3 rivets per plate #214 8510

·
Registered
624 Posts
Called a couple countries showed some pics and at end of day Canada west harvest center found the number. 13 covers on Columbus. Got 12 of them be here tomorrow. There are 19 in Germany but I’m pretty sure guy could make his own easily. If you do choose

·
Registered
624 Posts
760 so I have 3 grates woth the 4d flaps then the 4th set of rotor covers is controlled on side and that set is a regular all open all close set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts