The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helpin our neighbor pickin up his last canola....he seeded one field late June...we couldn't get thru it or stopped once per swath pass...it wouldn't go thru...swaths or stems green...we told farmer we couldn't wreck r 2 units, complete w sunnybrooks...I wasn't there but 2 Deere 670's came over and didn't stop once, combined the entire green stalked area, without problem...I can't believe the story, my most proficient experienced operators on my best lexions....we run cyl in high....wonder if that's too fast at 540 rpm for green stalks... I'm embarrassed....

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Wow thats interesting. It seems there is certain crops or conditions that a lexion is absolutley great in and others that are a nightmare. You did the right thing in not doing it. Trying to force a lexion through a nightmare crop just destroys or wrecks a lot of expensive things. Was it impeller issues you were having or what was the limiting factor with the Lexion? In that green canola I would have probably tried running my cylinder over 600 and the rotors wide open.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Helpin our neighbor pickin up his last canola....he seeded one field late June...we couldn't get thru it or stopped once per swath pass...it wouldn't go thru...swaths or stems green...we told farmer we couldn't wreck r 2 units, complete w sunnybrooks...I wasn't there but 2 Deere 670's came over and didn't stop once, combined the entire green stalked area, without problem...I can't believe the story, my most proficient experienced operators on my best lexions....we run cyl in high....wonder if that's too fast at 540 rpm for green stalks... I'm embarrassed....
Way too slow! In tough green canola the cylinder needs to be ran at 650 minimum. Rotor covers need to be installed. Never had canola a lexion couldn't easily handle.

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
540 way too slow!

wonder if that's too fast at 540 rpm for green stalks... I'm embarrassed....
As you should be.;)
But just due to lack of experience.

Spent the last 60 or so, as Claas calls it "Effective Working Hours" in all kinds of crap, late seeded canola.
Ran 650 to 700 loaded rpm, SB cylinder and concave at 20. and 8 sections covered on rotors, CEMOS Automatic handled setting, Cruise Pilot set for engine power limit on a 780.
Which was generally the only speed limiter.:cool::)

Most common alarm? Main drive belt slip.:confused: And I raised slip alarm from 2.5% to 5.0% :eek: No adjustment on that belt, it's a hydraulic tightener.
Always occurred at gross engine overload. Probably need a chip to fix that eh? :rolleyes: ;)
Always occurred in the greenest straw, more akin to silage than ripe canola. Always uneventful, in fact the overall smoothness of the entire machine is amazing,
except that [email protected]#$%^&* rattling feeder chain! What a FPITA! :mad: And ears!:mad:

Second most? Rotor blockage.:( Now cured by running chopper in low speed.:)
If only I could cure that feeder chain. :(

Neat thing on a Claas though, you can read the speed and effective slip on every drive, all of them are generally under 0.5% except the cylinder drive that runs 1 or 2%

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gettin more clarity from other operator not there yesterday (Sunday)but indeed Saturday but he said biggest challenge was gettin the pickup to lift the green swath onto the pickup....felt couldn't get the 590 to speed pickup fast enuf to help get on to table....

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Gettin more clarity from other operator not there yesterday (Sunday)but indeed Saturday but he said biggest challenge was gettin the pickup to lift the green swath onto the pickup....felt couldn't get the 590 to speed pickup fast enuf to help get on to table....
Swathed?!!!:eek:
That not green straw (by my standards) at all!;)

Sure shows you need the whole story though.
Good advise above anyway.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Actually Don I don't. Have thought about it but never followed through. Out canola is swathed in 35' swaths and usually not cured right through.
I see, just so you know you are either giving up capacity or canola. Or both.

I ran 4 section manuals and 4 hydraulic, 80% cover and rarely are the hydraulic doors open.
Material depth on the shoe is just a fraction of no covers, losses much less and cleaner at higher feed rates as well.

Thanks to mbfarmer who drilled me to try a set.:)

2015's will have the usual 4 section, two section at a time hydraulic CEMOS Auto control as well as a manual hydraulic 4 section cover, just a valve on the side.
Much, immensely, handier.:)
Especially if you are jumping around in crops!:cool:

Quite frankly, with those covers and the other ideas above that will make Claas the far and away the Canola King.:)
With a noisy feeder chain!:(;)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Right now, about the third day of testing. Guess I wasn't clear in the other thread.
still need someone else to verify I am not imagining things.
Some don't think I am on the right track, but when I took the lower drum stops off, they were obviously being hammered on as the wear indicated.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts

So your saying you got owned by a couple JD's!

Don't think we ever go below 650 in canola.

If your stopping every swath it was wad's stopping the table auger?

·
Registered
338 Posts
t670 or s670?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.