The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered new combines for next year. We were recommended to get the belt conveyor but after talking to a farmer from Edmonton area, I’ve been advised to completely avoid because of insane replacement cost (5k), inability to service it like a chain, and the fact that the wear life is nowhere near as long as Claas is claiming. This guy has run two seasons and is replacing 2 of the 4 machines for sure he says and might have to do all 4. I’ve had chains last 5 seasons, close to 20k acres. We patch them together when a link breaks so no big deal, otherwise can run them until we run out of adjustment. Can’t patch together a belt.

Beyond quieter cab noise, something I really don’t care about as cab noise has never bothered me in my 700 series combines, what other reason is there to get the belt vs chain?

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
We just ordered new combines for next year. We were recommended to get the belt conveyor but after talking to a farmer from Edmonton area, I’ve been advised to completely avoid because of insane replacement cost (5k), inability to service it like a chain, and the fact that the wear life is nowhere near as long as Claas is claiming. This guy has run two seasons and is replacing 2 of the 4 machines for sure he says and might have to do all 4. I’ve had chains last 5 seasons, close to 20k acres. We patch them together when a link breaks so no big deal, otherwise can run them until we run out of adjustment. Can’t patch together a belt.

Beyond quieter cab noise, something I really don’t care about as cab noise has never bothered me in my 700 series combines, what other reason is there to get the belt vs chain?
Hmm., not sure where to start.
Wider feeder opening as the bottom guides are almost nothing, in theory, making a wider feeding area and better cylinder utilization.
Any feeder slat work much easier, no guides in the way, only one wrench needed and bolts held in place by the belt drive lugs.

I’d like to hear how these belt feeders are being damaged and/or hated as you state?
Because I would not have a ****ing chain feeder as a gift!

I do wish they went back to hydraulic tensioning as the no spring fixed ibolt attachment is difficult to set tension, very subjective depending on who does it.

Belts are available separately, inner two have more bolt holes than outer two so a different part #.

Which model ordered?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm., not sure where to start.
Wider feeder opening as the bottom guides are almost nothing, in theory, making a wider feeding area and better cylinder utilization.
Any feeder slat work much easier, no guides in the way, only one wrench needed and bolts held in place by the belt drive lugs.

I’d like to hear how these belt feeders are being damaged and/or hated as you state?
Because I would not have a ****ing chain feeder as a gift!

I do wish they went back to hydraulic tensioning as the no spring fixed ibolt attachment is difficult to set tension, very subjective depending on who does it.

Belts are available separately, inner two have more bolt holes than outer two so a different part #.

Which model ordered?
8600TT. These guys told me buying the separate belts is a complete waste of time because once they stretch the new ones won’t line up. Plus a single strand is a ludicrous $2000. I don’t know why he’s having issues but he is switching back to chains, and no offence Don but you run a new combine every year so not sure you can comment much on the durability of them.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
8600TT. These guys told me buying the separate belts is a complete waste of time because once they stretch the new ones won’t line up. Plus a single strand is a ludicrous $2000. I don’t know why he’s having issues but he is switching back to chains, and no offence Don but you run a new combine every year so not sure you can comment much on the durability of them.
True, but rocks greatly accelerate durability findings.
One year I had a rock destroy a feeder chain at 40 hours.

However, not a single rock through this year, let’s celebrate!

What headers?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought you might go 50’ but like me moving reasons?
I haven’t found a combine that can spread 40’ well enough for disc drills, let alone anything bigger. Also if every year was like this then I’d maybe go bigger but on a regular year I already can’t get to max speed i’m comfortable with using a 40’ so don’t see a reason to have any bigger. If we went to 8700s i might have considered it more

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
I haven’t found a combine that can spread 40’ well enough for disc drills, let alone anything bigger. Also if every year was like this then I’d maybe go bigger but on a regular year I already can’t get to max speed i’m comfortable with using a 40’ so don’t see a reason to have any bigger. If we went to 8700s i might have considered it more
And with contour max and excellent feeder lateral control now even more comfortable at high speeds.

Triple reel? Plugfree? Transport?
Doubt you’d get vertiblades?

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Will take more time with the FD2’s to know which one is better and there again conditions sometimes dictate.
I like the quickie section change and zero clearance adjust of plugfree already though.
Although, I didn’t actually have to work on it this season. Neither did the other five headers have to I work beside.
Water Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Yes, it will cut flax clean at 16 km/hr.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We had belts last year and went back to chain s belts were quieter but would go out of alignment probably a half dozen times last year and is a pain in the ass to re align. Tgere quieter but we’ve never had that with chains in terrible conditions and last year the belts had dam near ideal dry conditions

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well it’s nice when they look like that don but when 3 outta 6 are standing because they got twisted belts u say to yourself. **** the belt never had a claas chain break or twist big deal it’s a bit louder

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Well it’s nice when they look like that don but when 3 outta 6 are standing because they got twisted belts u say to yourself. **** the belt never had a claas chain break or twist big deal it’s a bit louder
What do you mean by “twisted“ belts?

The belts have considerable stretchability, I don’t think they are being tightened enough.
I tightened them while feeder is idle running until each side chattered the cruise pilot roller equally.
Tightening those belts is very subjective so I came up with something at least slightly scientific.
I also think it’s tighter than most get tightenend.

And here is another cause
Font Parallel Motor vehicle Screenshot Auto part

Have you ever seen anything more ****ing stupid than that?!
Would you hire a person who sits for nine seconds while a plugged feeder slip clutch chatters away?
Automatic made no better than someone you would immediately fire?

Let me simplify that chart.
Cough.

IF FEEDER DROPS BELOW 80% OF NORMAL ENGINE SPEED RATIO FEEDER INSTANTANEOUSLY SHUTS OFF

Done!

This prevents the huge material buildup between the feeder and auger of the header also reducing belt skittering chances.
So simple.
German square heads still writing software (all hardware already in place).
We’re ****ed!

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Jesus surely it don’t wait 9 seconds when it’s plugged solid? Did you try it once to see??
You can read!

No, not interested in wrecking something on purpose, gotta draw the line somewhere.
Properly setup as per my spec the feeder would be shut off before you realize it is plugged, just by ground speed at zero.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
the feeder belt would skip cogs and just like when our feeder chains on jd 690 s would skip but they were a real * to realign
If you loosen belt Ibolts then remove cylinder cover and four bolt green feeder house cover easy realignment.
Yes, 100% more then you should have to do, agree.

Running them crooked doesn’t seem to hurt them, it just bothers us farmers who like things symmetrical.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can read!

No, not interested in wrecking something on purpose, gotta draw the line somewhere.
Properly setup as per my spec the feeder would be shut off before you realize it is plugged, just by ground speed at zero.
For you’re going to try it hen should do it while it still has warranty I suppose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts