The Combine Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,224 Posts
I think the hopper size spread between wheels and tracks will spread out.
From both functional/engineering as well as marketing reasons that high extension seen here will just be on tracks.
That is very probable, and I would argue any combine as heavy as they all appear to be should be on tracks. However a drive through the local dealer a couple weeks ago reveals a whole line of new combines on tires! I think the price on these machines is so high guys are cutting corners on the options, and we can be wet in this area. Tracks are great insurance IMO and actually are a serious upgrade for comfort, roading and serviceability.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
That is very probable, and I would argue any combine as heavy as they all appear to be should be on tracks. However a drive through the local dealer a couple weeks ago reveals a whole line of new combines on tires! I think the price on these machines is so high guys are cutting corners on the options, and we can be wet in this area. Tracks are great insurance IMO and actually are a serious upgrade for comfort, roading and serviceability.
Lack of track integration is a small part of slow adoption, looks like Agco is moving that way but the rest are a rigmarole to get. You can get a Ideal 9, large hopper/auger on wheels though. About 75 to get into Claas tracks, over a 100 on the rest. Trading Claas track to Claas tracks little different from wheel to wheel.

Serviceability applies especially to Claas although that track design would help any combine in that respect. Rumour has it that another advantage will soon be realized by the Claas design.

·
Premium Member
8,224 Posts
It would be silly not to have one at AIM!
Well 2020 orders are green and it would be stupid to think guys will buy something that they have never seen before. Probably best to steer clear of a first year model anyways and let the bugs get worked out. The current model is pretty refined.

Oh and I am catching heat from an ex-member(password fiasco) that obviously still trolls on here. He tells me he can see the tracks from his TT on some fields the year after but not from his dualed unit. I haven't seen any ill effects from the combine tracks and wonder if it's some other factor since it's been dry...:5:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Ok that picture is leaving me like when you go to the strippers and they come out in trench coats but all you really want is to see what’s underneath and maybe fondle them a bit. Not to much or Claas security looks like they are on the watch!

On the tracks, I like to troll as much as the next guy but you know there’s some weird dynamics when it comes to tracks and the wrong conditions. Guys here have seen it with the big air carts on tracks and this spring I seen it with the leading cart putting another 10,000 lbs on the hitch of the challenger.
In my wetter direct seeded fields I have compaction tracks under the tracks!

It mostly defies logic because in the wet much you can straddle where tires got stuck on tracks yet somehow that same track could compact more.

No tracks from tires on the other drill 7950 and no tracks under the tracks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
IMO, the biggest issues with tracks and leaving a mark...

1-Too much tread. The tread sinks in too much and makes a track. 99% of the time here, the factory depth of tread isn't needed for traction.

2-The idlers and rollers seem to knead the soil as each of them roll along the inside of the track. Each one making a bigger impression downward to earth.

3-The changing of the track profile on the front idler and rear makes the tread dig in. The tread on a tire stays nearly a true circle, except for the flat spot on the bottom. The tread is less likely to bite in upon entry and flip out on exit. The flat track design, like a bulldozer track, bites in and flips out upon entry and exit. This seems to cause the tread make a bigger impression, or at least loosen the soil more than a tire that isn't spinning.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
About all I can guess at is the auger doesn’t appear to come ahead far enough.
Long auger though on that what looks like a 40’ corn head.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Oh and I am catching heat from an ex-member(password fiasco) that obviously still trolls on here. He tells me he can see the tracks from his TT on some fields the year after but not from his dualed unit.
That sounds like someone trying to justify not spending money on tracks. Ask him how the yield compared :rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don knows more than he tells us...

What could be different for tracked units?

2.00m cylinder width for a super euer Body version instead oft 1.70m?

I don't think so... Tire ans Track versions will habe the same APS threshing System...

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Speed but wheels are 40 km as well.

The different thing is pretty minor but I’d use it right away.

12 sleeps!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I’d assume only the track models get the monster hopper as well.

Can’t say anything else but if the dealer has to compete on price point pretty much has to come on tires.

161 - 180 of 207 Posts