The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got an issue with the sharpener on our Jag 900. The sharpening mechanism is crashing into itself causing damage. I've added a diagram to try to explain. Basically when the sharpener gets full over to the pawl that winds down the stone, the bolt holding the ram sprocket on is hitting the pawl. AFAICS it should not get that far!

Anyone had this happen?

As the ram travels in the direction of the arrow, the two circled parts come together.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies. I've been messing about with it tonight. The bolt is correct and chain tension seems about right. I have added as many shims as I can to the ram (any more and the pipe union won't seat correctly) and it does just miss now. Still very close for comfort IMHO and struggle to see why it didn't seem to hit before!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check for wear on pin at 4 and for cracking or breakage of the mountings at 4 .Check that bolt holding gear is fully home not just bent and tight ie. it may have loosened and bent on impact and appear to be correct. It should have only one washer between head and bearing for gear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check for wear on pin at 4 and for cracking or breakage of the mountings at 4 .Check that bolt holding gear is fully home not just bent and tight ie. it may have loosened and bent on impact and appear to be correct. It should have only one washer between head and bearing for gear
Pin 4 etc seem fine. The washer layout also corresponds to the parts book. I assume this must be very close in normal conditions so only a tiny movement will cause problems?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts