The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the differences between the 2011-2014 model 760 combines. Also as far as head sizes, we run 120-150 bu Winter Wheat but this isn't wide open country. Big heads are a PITA to get around what can a guy get away with on width? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Wow, that is some good wheat! We have a 2011 740 with a 40' FD70. I agree that larger headers can often be a hinderance as we have terraces etc...

Thirty feet sounds like a lot for your yield. The problem I have with 30' is turning radius on the Lexion.

A 2011 is basically a late 500 series with a newer cab/interior and paint scheme. I think around 2013 and for sure 14, would come more power, emissions, possibly redesigned return elevator head, cooling system and maybe rear axle.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, that is some good wheat! We have a 2011 740 with a 40' FD70. I agree that larger headers can often be a hinderance as we have terraces etc...

Thirty feet sounds like a lot for your yield. The problem I have with 30' is turning radius on the Lexion.

A 2011 is basically a late 500 series with a newer cab/interior and paint scheme. I think around 2013 and for sure 14, would come more power, emissions, possibly redesigned return elevator head, cooling system and maybe rear axle.
Thank you for the info. We are running 25 foot heads right now which we can get down the roads. I'm afraid anything over that might as well be a 40 because it will have to be trailed. Btw we are currently running 9660sts and the 25 is a hand full for it in our wheat if that would help with comparison.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do not need a 40ft head to load the combine then go with a 35ft. You will get a more even spread of the residue.
SK, I guess I'm having a hard time determining just exactly how big a head I need. Like I said the biggest combine I've ran or been around is my 9660sts. It's fine with a 25' head in our wheat and in the alfalfa seed 25' is almost too much head for it.

I know that the Claas 760 is a much bigger combine than that and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep it full with a 25' head. The guy that is running a 760 in alfalfa seed here is using a 35' auger head, he said his average speed is 1.1-1.8mph. But he said they had some 150bu wheat this year too and he was running 2.5mph with the 35'.

I guess my main concern is the extra pain it will be trailering a head down the road, our field sizes pale in comparison to most of you guys. We probably have one of the biggest fields in our area at 220 acres. The average size field around here is about 30 acres with a lot of 5-20 acre ones mixed in. So you start to see my concern, at the same time I really want to get a machine that will FINALLY do a good job in seed, the deere conventional's that we have work OK but not like the old 7720's. They have also hit a plateau in capacity, our T670 is nothing more than a glorified 9610 that uses more fuel and gets zero more acres a day. The problem being that A. Seed sounds a lot like canola to thrash. LOTS of MOG on the screens, only A. Seed is really hard to rub out on top of it. Because of all the MOG the deere's end up having to crawl because of their lack of cleaning area and their stupid auger beds that mix it all up. And that ridiculous pre cleaner that is useless in A. seed.

The other big concern I have is the apparent lack of resale value on the Claas. I don't really understand that but I'm sick of being held captive by Deere & co by using this excuse. But when I see that a new 760 is over 400k and a 2-3 year old machine is only bringing 300k it concerns me. What has been everyone's experience with keeping them longer. We usually don't put a ton of hours on every year and normally have a combine for at least 10 years. My 9610 is 16 years old now and up until the last couple of years has been pretty problem free. Anyway sorry for the long post but I know there is a lot of experience with Claas on this board and would love for you all to share some of your wisdom with a thinking about becoming an x deere guy. :D

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I think you would be happy with a 760 with a 1050 maxflex. I demoed a 1050 and it was the nicest auger head I had used. We went with a draper anyway but it seemed nice.

Another option would be a MacDon with the built in header transport. I like it better than chasing down a header trailer on the other end of the farm, lining up to unhook it, and still have to tie it down, hook up to the trailer, etc...

Any new combine (car, truck, etc) will lose a lot of value the first couple of years. If you don't like that, take advantage of it and by a slightly used one set up how you like it.

I would look for a machine with a keystock concave and possibly a style of an enclosed cylinder. Tracks are great, but slightly hurt an already poor turning machine. I would hate to go back to tires on a combine.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Csfi if your not sure why not try a 590r first with low hours. It would cost 1/2 of the 760 and have the same capacity. There would be a lot less risk. Lexions have poor resale so use that to your advantage when you buy one.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you would be happy with a 760 with a 1050 maxflex. I demoed a 1050 and it was the nicest auger head I had used. We went with a draper anyway but it seemed nice.
So that would be a 35' head.........correct?

Another option would be a MacDon with the built in header transport. I like it better than chasing down a header trailer on the other end of the farm, lining up to unhook it, and still have to tie it down, hook up to the trailer, etc...
I've tried a draper in A. Seed before its just so fluffy it didn't work very well so although I would love the draper in the other crops I don't think it will work well in my main application.

Any new combine (car, truck, etc) will lose a lot of value the first couple of years. If you don't like that, take advantage of it and by a slightly used one set up how you like it.

I would look for a machine with a keystock concave and possibly a style of an enclosed cylinder. Tracks are great, but slightly hurt an already poor turning machine. I would hate to go back to tires on a combine.
First year depreciation is a fact of life but it seems rather excessive on the Lexion's, of course if it levels out over say a 10 year period that would be fine. I would rather have a new one than buy someone else's problems IF it did level out.

We are bone dry here 99.9% of the time during harvest so track aren't important at all to me I would rather have tires.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Csfi if your not sure why not try a 590r first with low hours. It would cost 1/2 of the 760 and have the same capacity. There would be a lot less risk. Lexions have poor resale so use that to your advantage when you buy one.
So help me out on the differences on the late model 590r's to the 760's. While the cost savings is tempting I'm concerned about HP and stuffing 35' of semi green material though the machine. We're talking with my Deere T670 some of these green spots you are down to .5 mph with a 25' head and curling your toes hoping it doesn't slug. :eek:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there an opportunity to lease one for a season to see whether you like it before purchasing outright? Even if it is a second hand one sitting on a dealers?
We are going to look into this option for sure. Biggest problem is we just got a decent Lexion dealer in the area about 2 years ago so not a big presence as of yet. Not a lot of machines floating around nearby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.