The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Claas Xerion here for a demo, just showed up today. I will know more when we get it hooked to a few different implements but first impressions are:

Good
>Quiet, very quiet. Anyone who has driven a tractor with a CVT will understand why. This tractor has 530HP and a CVT!:) If you can run engine at 1500 rpm and adjust your speed separately that keeps things quiet.

>Smooth. For a wheeled tractor it seems to have a very good ride. Has an air ride cab.

>Access. Engine panels are easy to get off and you can basically walk around the cab to clean windows/adjust lights...

>Muffler, where is it? Not in your view that's for sure. It is below cab level and the view is great(except for one spot...covered in bad)

>Looks really neat.:cool:

Bad

>No view of drawbar! Can't see it at all.:( A camera would solve this issue though. My Ford truck has a camera and I have no problem hooking it up to stuff but no camera on this tractor that I can see.

>Handrail. There is a support plate on the handrail by the door right where you want to grab it??? I haven't fallen yet but could see that being a major concern.

>Lack of cab room. Not a ton of available floor space for lunch/toolkits...

>Complicated. One of the posted pics will explain what I mean. It's definitely not a "hop in and go" tractor, will require some training. Probably fine once one gets familiar but it is complicated, no way around that.

Just first impressions here, I will add more as it gets used.;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pics and a few more details.

>Has an air compressor, might come in handy.

>Has a small fuel tank but is reputed to burn less fuel, not sure if I will get to do a really good comparison as no GPS in this unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've got one rattling around my area too, neat looking tractor. Glad to see more competition being brought into NA. Did the dealer let on what they would be priced at?
Competition is good for sure. Early indication is too expensive.:eek: That is very early though.;)

How sharp does it turn? Also, do you have any pictures of the drawbar setup? How much weight could it support?
Turns pretty sharp, I will compare with my CIH tractors. Drawbar is beefy, I will get a pic of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I heard they base price at over 500k for the 5000 model..........low yields, lower crop prices, probably isn't going to sell well here.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I think these ag manufacturers need to come back down to earth a little with their pricing. You know it wasn't that long ago when a well equipped 450-500 hp tractor was around 250k brand new....

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Valid points about the cost of machinery, and that goes for all brands. Manufacturers cannot continue to increase prices at the current rate or else nobody will be buying anything. I can't comment specifically on the cash price of this unit because I would be trading something and that confuses the situation. Retail prices are not cash prices...

Don it can be switched to MPH.:D And that is your combine cab.;)

I think I figured out the cruise control.:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
A few more pics and a few more details.

>Has an air compressor, might come in handy.

Does it have glad hands at the back too?

Our Kirovets has factory air.

Can pull around semi trailers and have functioning brakes. Can run an air impact. Can blow things out when needed. Can air up low cultivator tires whereever you are.

Yep, air is a handy thing.

Looked at it at Farm Progress. Nice tractor and all but far too many moving parts on the steering system. Reminds me of old Case tractors... that give me nightmares.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think these ag manufacturers need to come back down to earth a little with their pricing. You know it wasn't that long ago when a well equipped 450-500 hp tractor was around 250k brand new....
The price of new iron is just plain out of hand..........but so is farm ground, fertilizer ect......

What makes me sick is that in 05 you could by a 8420 with ILS for around 125k. Last year a 8335R was 275k:eek: Really? Over double the price? I realize that the 8335 is a little bigger tractor but the main components as far as the ILS, frame, tranny, ect are all the same.

Everything is just getting really expensive, or our paper currency is really just that worthless. But there is NO inflation just remember that and Uncle sam never lies to anyone:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picture of drawbar area attached.

Got it converted to acres, gallons but was able to leave temp as degrees C as they are adjusted separately unlike some equipment I know that is all-or-nothing.:rolleyes:

Pulled my 60' chisel plow at depth in very hard ground(tank was empty).;)

No glad hands, air brakes are an option too I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the quietest high-horsepower tractor that I have ever used and the engine does not need to be revved high to be usable.:)

Radio is terrible.:rolleyes:

An hour in the manual paid big dividends, pretty familiar with things now. Lots of potential adjustments to tailor machine to one's liking, just need to figure things out.

Sunshades and wipers on all 4 sides.:)

Cab suspension has 3 settings: locked, firm ride or soft ride. Soft ride setting helps with sprayer ruts.

I saw at least 2 alternators under the hood???

Maybe fuel tank isn't too small, it has a second optional fuel tank above rear axle.

No radar so can't check slip but it's ballasted good and slippage seems low.

Hydraulic controls are in an awkward spot but there are hydraulic controls on CMOTION handle which I need to figure out.

Starting to really like this thing...:D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was wondering what you thought of the way it pulls compared to your quad tracks

The CMOTION handle looks like a great idea with hydro functions and all.

Have you ran a JD IVT? If so how does the CVT compare in the field and does it have decent road manors coming up to stop signs from full speed? And how is it on fuel compared to your quads?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was wondering what you thought of the way it pulls compared to your quad tracks

The CMOTION handle looks like a great idea with hydro functions and all.

Have you ran a JD IVT? If so how does the CVT compare in the field and does it have decent road manors coming up to stop signs from full speed? And how is it on fuel compared to your quads?
csfi you have all the great questions.;)

It pulls pretty good but nothing pulls like tracks. There is no radar but slippage is reasonable I believe. With the Quads slippage is non-existent. It all depends how hard of a pull you are doing and under what conditions. In a hard fall ground situation tires will do fine if weighted up. In spring slippage makes compaction and costs $$$, and slippage is harder to avoid in soft wet spring soils. Main thing is to size the implement properly to the tractor. I am considering a disc drill which would be a lower draft and fall banding means less weight in the tank during seeding. This may allow me to be satisfied with tires again??? If you are pulling the biggest drill/tank you need tracks.

I have had several CaseIH CVT's, this one is smoother so far than that. Have only ridden briefly in an IVT but it wasn't much different than my CVT's, you can notice the shifting for sure. AGCO/FENDT has by far the nicest CVT! On the Xerion you can dial in the cruise speed via the Hotkey and I have noticed no harsh shifting at all during field speeds and under load.:)

I am hoping to do some similar work with my CaseIH 500 that has the same 710/42 rubber but without autosteer we won't be putting a ton of hours on this thing so it will be only a very loose comparison.

Not down road yet with it, maybe tomorrow. This thing is very new still. Stickers just came off the tires and you can smell the aroma of paint burning off the exhaust manifold.:D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.