The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what method's you use to clean your combine when harvest is over and it's ready to be put in the shed? I am sooooo pleased with my 2188 that I want it to have the best of care. I would guess to take off all shields and blow all nooks and grannys clean, then wash. The grain in the tank, blow all of it to the troughs and was thinking of putting the combine on a slight incline with the left side lower and then washing all of the grain out the up-right auger trap door. Another question, would you wash the insides of the machine or leave it dry? what about the grain left in the auger bed?

I want this combine to be as mouse proof as possible......NO MOUSE IN THIS HOUSE!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Just a real good blow off will really do. I like to wash them, but am most hesitant to blast them with a pressure washer. You did good to remove all shields and expose as much of the separator as possible. Yes, clean the innards of the separator. If there''s mud and caked on material, go ahead and run the water to it. Water hurts no more on the inside than the outside, as long as you allow the machine to thoroughly drain and dry before putting back inside.

One thing to remember, is once you actually start the water-washing part, by all means, FINISH it. Leave no wet grain or plant residue on the combine or in it, to decay and deteriorate sheet metal! Washing may take 2 full days, too. It's no easy or quick thing.

As for the mice, Mouse-Out can work. Mothballs in the cab work, but have to be refreshed every so often as they evaporate. Also since mice and rats just love to habitate even a brand-new, clean combine, it is prudent to go ahead and treat them since they will be visiting the separator. Use a leading brand of farm-quality bait or poison, not D-Con which only feeds them. It will give them better than wires to chew and will take care of the issue, too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd say your on the right track, Trakman. What we used to do with axial flows is use compressed air and back pack blowers, with all shields off. Put shields back on rotor and stand back with a fire truck and hit each one with about 2000gal of water. Then when they were in shop for winter repairs they would get hand washed and waxed. Mouse bait is a priority.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
On our farm, at the end of the season, we blow the machine out with air. It does take a while. However, we don't wash them. It doesn't bother me at all to have dirt/dust all over the machine while it is the shed all winter. Nobody will see it in there. We don't want the moisture in there creating rust, so we wait until right before harvest to wash it up. If you happen to get some water in a bearing, then the daily greasing will help get that water out of there.

-Lance

·
Registered
922 Posts
last year i rented a 185cfm compresser worked great had to made my own air stick out of 1"pvc withy a ball valves workes great ..

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree with lance don't wash it until it's time to go back to the field, we also used a big air compressor that sure beat's using a littlle one in the shop. Just pull it out to a close field or open area and blow it off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I always end up getting done late in december. So I blow the combine off and store untill spring. Then I wash it up really good when it gets warm enough to wash. When I get done I let the combine and seperator run for 15 min and then grease and do a total look over. Most important thing to remember is to make sure it is totally dry and always use some touch up paint, sure like to keep the rig looking nice. Then put away untill I need it again for oats in late july. Whitch is about 2 weeks away.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the ideas. Got with the program today and took off all shields and opened everything up and with a leaf blower and compressed air, blowed, and blowed and blowed some more. Decided not to wash untill it goes to the field for fall harvest. Kinda sucks that I have to clean my combine 2 times a year. Oh well, that how you get real aquainted with your pride and joy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering what method's you use to clean your combine when harvest is over and it's ready to be put in the shed? I am sooooo pleased with my 2188 that I want it to have the best of care. I would guess to take off all shields and blow all nooks and grannys clean, then wash. The grain in the tank, blow all of it to the troughs and was thinking of putting the combine on a slight incline with the left side lower and then washing all of the grain out the up-right auger trap door. Another question, would you wash the insides of the machine or leave it dry? what about the grain left in the auger bed?

I want this combine to be as mouse proof as possible......NO MOUSE IN THIS HOUSE!
We just used our new 2 step chemical cleaning to wash this John Deere Combine at Bader and Sons in St. Louis Michigan. We were able to reduce the entire pressure washing time from 16 hours down to only 3.5 hours for a full interior and exterior cleaning, while restoring the color back without brushing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try leaving as many of the cover plates, access doors etc. open. In my experience the rats and mice tend to go to the dark places. Mothballs work great, but they do leave a smell in the cab. we dont use a pressure washer, afraid of getting water in the bearings. if you do use water, oil the chains.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I wash mine religiously after the season. After blowing it off well, I flush it good with a water hose. Then pressure wash and flush again. Then pressure wash and flush some more. Then park combine on a slope different ways and flush out grain tank, clean grain auger, etc. Let it dry and look for spots I missed. Wash any areas I missed and flush it good one last time. Then grease it, run it, and wax it. I've never had a bearing go bad from pressure washing it. IMO getting water in a bearing is less risk than leaving grain or dust on a machine. Mice can cause real problems and the dust and residue can be corrosive as it will pick up moisture from the air. But washing it and leaving wet grain or residue can be really harmful as well. So if you wash it go all the way and get everything out of the combine. It typically takes me about 3-4 days from the time I start till the time I park it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts