The Combine Forum banner

Cleaning mice smell

14K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  aussie farmer 
#1 ·
Just registered on to Combine Forum today so my question may have made it on here already. What are your thoughts, ideas, etc on getting rid of mouse smell. I've heard of a bowl of coal to suck the smell out. Hasn't worked for me. Also Irish Spring soap bar to keep then away. Any ideas?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

#11 ·
Up here motor homes that get mice in them go straight to the wrecker. They won't even let staff or tow truck drivers enter them because of the risk of litigation over hantavirus. The last time I went to the elevator there was 9 trailers/motorhomes waiting to get squashed. Smell is only a small part of the problem. Make sure you wear masks and latex gloves and clean them right out. Check under seats, sills, the dash board and in heater compartments very closely. They also like to nest in headliners and hood bracing.

#14 ·
Just thought I'd chime in here. We had mice in our cab (1680) last year, chewed thru the heater hose where it goes around the corner on top of the cab. Big nest above cab. Cleaned everything out best we could after fixing hoses and wiring (Grrrr) and sprayed with MrClean, I believe. Then to get rid of the smell, I fresh ground a bunch of coffee, and spread that everywhere, in cab and in the space above the cab. That did wonders for the smell!! Thru some bait up in that compartment above cab, and this year didn't notice any mice, but AC condensation was dripping in cab, so opened up the top, and sure enough, the bait had been chewed on, and the condensation line had been chewed thru!! but the bait must have taken care of them! If they had chewed the heater line off again, Oh Boy!!!

#17 ·
Mice Begone

There are two easy ways to remove mouse smell, one is a five gallon (use imperial gallon size cause it contains more than a US gallon) of diesel with the usual tossed cigarette...and option 2 is...add more diesel to fire!! :D

Just having fun, but in all seriousness I have tried it all from Irish Spring to the high price commercial corn chips and none of them have long lasting results. The only thing that works is keep your cab(combine, tractor or truck) cleaned up in the fall to point of even washing it. The first place the mice head is the heater cause they love the confinement and aroma of antifreeze for some reason. Take a jig saw and cut out the bottom of your heater area and leave open if vehicle or equipment is parked very long and reattached hinges or duct tape for cold days.
I even had one of the more adventurous little buggers go down the exhaust stack to the venturi and followed the hose to the pre-cleaner and wait, there's more..found her way into the air filter tank and set up shop for the winter!!:(

#20 ·
three solutions ;

Scrub and scrub with detergent , wipe down with eucalyptus oil, get a hand full of car air fresheners , park in sun with all doors and vents shut for a week in summer . park in shed with baking soda in a bowl for the off season.

Find something that smells worse like roadkill etc. , park in sun for a week.

Catch all rodents and educate them on personal hygiene and scrub each one and spray with perfume.

#22 ·
Find something that smells worse like roadkill etc. , park in sun for a week.

My buddies 5 year old put a live cat in his Magnum 290 last July and never told anyone. Found the cat much later, dead. Seat tore up, decaying kitty, dead goo on the floor, and smelled just like you can imagine (dead, cat piss and crap).

No mice though.

#21 ·
I have been educated on mice smell this past 2 seasons. Find to nest, clean it up and use good detergents on the whole area, or replace/remove effects areas. I have thrown out some foam from this. Put mint oil in effected area. Helps remove any residual smell and helps keep mice out. Then use ozone machine to remove any other smell. Still hard to get it all 100%. I wash down everything I can with bleach water when doing this. Don't bleach the fabrics, it may fade them. Mint oil and fabric softner sheets helps to keep mice out. Don't put poison in your cabs. It attracts mice so they eat it. Plug any holes into your cab you can find. Good luck getting them all. I have used smoke bombs just for find cab leaks/holes. Still have had mice find their way in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.