The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a new to us JD 1910 air cart and I am wondering if there are any tricks to cleaning it out. It's the first time running JD for us and the cart is very different than our old one. Generally I just blow air everywhere and pressure wash it and call it good. Do the meters need any special attention or do I just remove them, blow them out, and they should be good next spring? Is it worthwhile spraying diesel on any parts? Thanks for any tips or comments.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There is a aluminum bar that runs across the bottom of the meter housing holding the plastic distributors in. It is held in place by two bolts one on each end and it should be removed and blown out. We take these out of the fertilizer meters and leave them out until seeding next spring.
I would't wash them out it just seems to introduce moisture where there was none. I pulled meter housing off a tank that had been washed three years prior and the foam block that seals off the bottom of the tank/meter transition was soaked and rusting out terribly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that comment. I should clarify, by pressure washing I mean the exterior, mostly for dirt and mud that accumulates over the season.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What do you use to close up the meter housing or do you just let all the dirt/creatures go into the tank and air system?:confused:
You can buy the plugs at a jd dealer.

Another thing is when you remove the meters make sure and clean the meter housing out good. It's hard to get to the back but a snow brush and shop vac work. Fertilizer is the worst on these things. Once you are cleaned up put some Fluid Film on the exterior parts around the meter housings and practically anything metal. This stuff really keeps rust away and lubricates.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tips so far. This cart has a conveyor - does that need any special attention? Do you release the tension for the off season?

·
Registered
790 Posts
When we brought home our new to us 1910 this spring we relized that the previous owner had put a part bag of kitty litter in the bottom of each tank....seemed like a great way to keep things dry in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts