The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm at a loss as to what to do next. We are working on a 9650sts that the bearing went out of the cleaning shoe drive shaft. The left side bearing went out behind the eccentric/cam bearings. We replaced it; we took off the two cam bearings, removed and replaced the shaft bearing and put the cams back on how we believed they came off (snap ring side of cams facing each other). We did all this with the belt off, but we didn't roll the shoe to re align the shaker arms into the center of the window they moved back and forth in.
Short while later the big shaker arm on the right side broke, shoe lurched forward and wrecked the cleaning fan, but no damage to shoe. Removed shoe, fixed fan, installed new shaker arm, put shoe back in and loosened bolts that all shaker arms are attached to as per our Dealers instructions so that there would be no tension on the arms so they'd align to center of the windows after rolling the shoe by hand a few times.
Well no such luck. Arms will not align to center of windows, Dealer is scratching his head and for good reason would like to put a set of eyeballs on the machine to see if he can spot the issue. Not against this just waiting for parts on another project to come in before he schedules a visit so we have one service call instead of two.
Asking to see if anyone has any ideas that I can look/try out before service tech comes out next week. My only other thought is to remove the cam sets from both sides and see if the shoe would align that way, but not sure that'll help seeing as both sides the arms attached to the cams are in same spots. I figure if one side was messed up then the arms would be in different locations from side to side, maybe so maybe not? Watching the shoe move inside the machine everything looks to be moving in sync but again its only at hand speed not field idle or higher.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm apparently I've stumped The Combine Forum...not sure that's something to be proud of.

No one has had trouble getting their 50series shoe to align properly? Man this problem is bigger than I thought.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't think its that big a problem. You have a LH-RH cam and an inside out side. Its keyed as it goes on. Its very simple to be aligned. If its not going then you have something assembled wrong. The part #'s are stamped on the cams. Go to JDParts.com and get a pic of the parts and it will tell you what cam goes where. If it the arms aren't stroking you may have frames broke inside the machine. You said you removed all that and everything was fine so I am saying your cams are assembled wrong. You said you put snaprings towards inside which is correct, but there is a inner and outer cam.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I can be to Towner in about an hour. My service call would be considerable less than Deere. Let me know I can come check it out for you. 620-521-2223. I have to go to Syracuse in the morning I would be half way there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The arms won't all Center at the same time. Center one of them and then tighten the bolts. Then Center the next one and tighten.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so the cams we took off are put back on correctly, hard to mix up as inside one is beveled to fit tight next to the lock collar on the bearing behind it. I might take you up on a service call 5States. Might be next week, will be gone to various stuff until Monday. It seems to push on the fan shroud as it cams forward :( probably means pulling the shoe back out but I hope not.

Will try the center em as I go approach and see if it works any better.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You have something more serious going on. Doesnt' matter at all how out of time or not being centered when tightening them. You shouldn't even be close to the fan shroud.

The shaft is keyed and the as long as you have left to right and inside to outside correct on the cams, You just take a big bar and move the frames back and forth to get the arms to match up. Timing is done for you. THe only thing you should worry about being in center for is to get your rubber bushings tightened to center so they don't overturn one direction or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts