The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your rule of thumb for clearing snow off roofs? We received over a foot which I think is fine but once more comes what is the quantity when you start getting shovels out to start clearing the house and sheds?

·
Registered
456 Posts
cleaning roofs

What does your insurance company say? We had 1978 vintage quonset style bldg in good shape collapse last winter and seemed like it had approx 30" of melting, heavy snow on it when that happened. Our ins was good and note replacement building(pole shed) has 10" sitting on it already that has not slid off so maybe this winter will be good test. If you want to get technical think that each area has building std for so much snowload - believe in central ab it around 36lbs/sq ft(think this new bldg built for more like 40lbs/sq ft). Shovelling off roof of any size is not another job I need so I would check your ins.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Some of the trusses are designed with very little saftey factor. When we put our trusses on our house this past year we looked at the stress factors on the joints that are spit out of the truss program. There were girders and trusses they designed that passed the program criteria but had lttle to no saftey factor left. I had them beef those up or put another ply on the areas that were weak. It did not cost much extra and made it a lot stronger. A lot of people that design these trusses have no engineering smarts and just plug numbers into a program that they have had a few days training on. We called the program company and soon understood what these numbers ment that they were generating. I would not buy a building or wood trusses without looking at the design specs for the trusses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.