The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can't run 2 days and have low rail pressure alarm and then reduced hp. Change fuel filters and problem goes away. Have 2 questions: First agco changed parts numbers on the fuel filters; did they make the filters different because they were having problems? second, could my fuel have problems like algae and how do you detect it and what do you do for it? We are not having any of these problems on our tractors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If algae is the problem, adding a biocide to fuel and changing filters until its cleaned up. I would think you would have a black goo in filters. If you flushed tank before for plastic shavings I doubt if algae is problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the inline steel mesh filter before the filters on the engine. There could be plastic cuttings in the tank from manufacturing. Have you cut the filters open to see what is inside of them?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I second checking the inline mesh screen/filter. We had problems with plastic shavings from diesel tank causing said issues you have been experiencing.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Are you getting an error code? If so make sure and call a dealer to see exactly what it is. Had a similar situation with my DT275 and it ended up being injectors. Change filters and would run a couple days. Since injectors have been changed no problems. I also thought I had fuel problems

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had our fuel supplier out Fri. It isn't the fuel. When we disconnected the fuel line behind the shutoff on the left side fuel only trickled out. We blew air back through the line into the tank and then the fuel flowed. We drained the tank again (we drained it this winter and flushed it because we were having shaving problems) and drained the fuel through a funnel with a strainer on it. Nothing in the strainer. We have cleaned the fuel tank breather but now that I'm thinking about it maybe we ought to blow air down through the breather line just to make sure. My next step is to note if there is a fault code that comes up if we havn't fixed the problem. We, as purchasers of a 350k product, shouldn't have to deal with plugged fuel screens from plastic shavings. Its that simple.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree. But we had that same situation. Was shavings. I wouldn't have known what yo do after changing filters, except for here and the plastic shavings. If tank got low that usually starts it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Yea I agree when spending that much on something you expect nothing to be wrong. I assume AGCO doesnt make the tanks and the tank maker is obviously not flushing the tanks. AGCO knows of this problem and should be flushing the tanks when they get them. My service guy told me to put a sock over the def breather to help keep from getting dirty. I dont know where the fuel breather is located but maybe this is an option.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Probably a good idea for AGCO to flush the tanks but why won't some wheel in Hesston get on the phone to the tank maker CEO and tell him (or her) that customers are mad and that AGCO's reputation is getting hurt by such slipshod quality control? Mechanical failures are a part of any machine but something that simple is easily solved. If I worked at AGCO and knew that a supplier was not performing and I had vivid memories of trying to get a machine to start out in the field when it is 25 deg and a cold north wind blowing I would probably be unemployed after I got done with some lackadaisical twit wandering around with coffee in one hand and a cell phone in the other. There I feel better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with the quality control. There is no reason any Gleaner owner should have to deal with shavings in a fuel tank. Maybe a gleaner rep can address this on this board. I will update the board on my problem when we get it solved as we have been out of the field due to rain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little more on the shavings issue, my dealer shop manager told me that what causes the shavings is that when they make the tanks there are molds that fit together and then the plastic is injected into the mold. Where ever the mold doesn't match exactly at a seam the plastic squeezes out into the tank causing the thin pieces of plastic. The sloshing of the fuel then eventually breaks these pieces off and they end up over the tank screen and the inline screen. It plain and simple is a quality problem. There is some way that the manufacturer can keep the plastic fromleaking out of the mold. If not find another manufacturer. There are doazens of companies that do injection molding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts