The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,791 Posts
if you do a lot of plate welding just draw up a DXF and get laser fab in Saskatoon to laser it. Ridiculously cheap to get it done over doing it yourself. I have gotten a lot of stuff done there, there mild steel cut is very high quality. I don't think anybody would use $4000 worth of cutting on the farm for small projects.

· Registered
369 Posts
Depending on what you want to do with it, some tables are built kinda light in my opinion. If you're just wanting to cut small signs and craft type stuff they might be ok.
If you want to slide a sheet of 1/2" plate on, and cut something, maybe look at a heavier table.
I have a table from these guys Bulltear.com - Home or Plasmaland
Actually i bought my gantry kit from them, and built my own frame and water table. I used their recommended frame plans. It is stout, commercial quality stout.
They are a good experienced company, i have looked at alot of other tables, and for the money, i think they sell a superior product.
Again, depending on what you want to do, consider the size. its a bit like building a shop, dont build it too small!!
I have a 4x8 table, there are days i wish it was 5x10. But im sure glad its not 4x4!!
Ive had my table for a few years, and the custom work ive done has easily paid for it in full.
Im just a farmer that does not advertize either. In fact i kinda dont like doing custom stuff.
But a little $ is hard to turn away.

· Registered
6 Posts
looking at buying a plasma table
any suggestions
I am a farmer/Engineer with a farm shop and owner of Devko Plasma Tables, hope I can answer any question you may have. To answer a couple on here, the common question of the 4x4 table size, sized for the following reasons:
1) Space required in the shop-we all need more shop space, having a larger table when not in use is a problem
2) Without a vacuum lifter or similar on a crane of some sort it is very difficult to load anything larger than a 4x4 sheet, thick metal is heavy, thin is awkward
3) The material can be indexed on the table using the software to cut 4x whatever length sheets etc
4) Cost of the table increases substantially, the drivetrain and table itself gets large and components must be sized accordingly which means more $$$$
5)This table is designed to cut brackets, signs, small parts in general, in my experience very seldom you will need anything larger than a 4x4 anything cut in a plasma table, those parts are usually sheared or get them outsourced to larger cutters out there, at least you'll have the software to design those parts which comes with the Devko Table Purchase
As far as the cost to justify a $4000.00 table, welders are $4000 these days, yet I see them in almost any farm shop, its the convivence that pays. Driving around to get all these parts custom cut will add up, plus once you have it, you'll use it more than you ever thought possible, you can make that money back with a couple custom cutting jobs which are easy to get once your friends find out you have one of these.

Thank for reading, please check out the website Home | DEVKO Plasma Tables and consider a Devko Plasma Table!

· Registered
601 Posts
a while ago i home built some plasma tables, they turned out to be 5 feet by five feet, for an easy 4 feet by 4 feet work area .. table was designed to take 1000 pounds weight, good enough for 1/2 inch plate ..
controls were steppers driving 3/4 inch acme screws, and the plasma cutter was able to cut 1/2 quite easily, smaller pieces up to one inch ...
home built cost was materials at around 500 dollars , plus labour and control. software. [and plasma cutter]i did wind up selling all the tables ..
use was mostly cutting out signs and house numbers, a lot of 1/8 material, very little cleanup after, no water table was made, but easily replaceable [ and reversible] slats were used ..
mach3 was the control software for the table ..

· Registered
175 Posts
Call up Fab-Cut in Kingston Ontario, talk to Renè, they build their own tables and have software built for them in NA
I bought mine from him years ago and their service is top notch. They have tutorials on there web site to show you everything.
it’s unbelievable how much I use it just building tools and replacement parts. I like fabricating and this table gets used lots. Mine is a 4 x4 table and can cut up to 3/4”

· Registered
62 Posts
Always figured it would be pretty easy to build one yourself. Their isn’t much to one. A lot of people use 2x2 square tubing and small bearings as linear rails. Then use either lead screws, belts, or a rack and pinion to move the carriage around. Drive it all with some nema 23 or 34 steppers. Most of that stuff is real simple. Electronics are just connecting in the step and direction on the drives to the controller. I haven’t gotten around to building one yet mostly because I don’t have a whole lotta floor space for one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.