The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did anybody try out one of these new air seeder tanks? How did the sectional control work? How did you like filling the small (canola) tank with the vacuum system? Any likes/dislikes?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I haven't, but I have a friend who has. Once they got things calibrated properly the sectional control worked very good. There main issue was getting the shut off and turn on times right. I think they had some GPS issues on the tractor that caused some grief. All and all they seemed pretty impressed with the job it did. They did like the way the tank lids opened on the old tanks better

There experience with the canola tank, was a bit different. It plugged, was slow or just didn't work. There is an update on them though. Apparently they are changing some baffles on the bottom, and I think they were changing the fan speed. There was lots of swearing when they talked about that system. In the end they just used one of the main tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
For the hundreds they claim they sold last year I can not believe you have not gotten more response. We were going to buy one until we got the price. We opted for the old 580 models they were blowing out because it was half the price, had more rubber on it, better tank lids, but had no sectional control, no canola tank, and no conveyor. Our 580 tank last year worked well and the tank splits are almost perfect for us making it very efficient for the size. With all the elctronics on the new tanks and meter drives I wonder how reliable they will be 10 years down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
currently running one here in South Australia, having loads of trouble with broad beans metering out. Can only run for 10-15 minutes before meter alarms go off. Beans are getting jammed in the rollers as they are not turning fast enough to keep momentum. This is a 10 run machine and at 200kg/ha meters are only turning 10-15 rpm with modified rollers in. Flexicoil can't seem to solve the problem so not happy. Good machine on wheat and pastures though, no issues there

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I bought a used roller from a guy that has one, nothing but problems. Wishes he had his old carts. Spending lots of time figuring stuff out on there own.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Dryland did you feel you had enough rubber under the cart for flotation and how much oil flow did you need to run the fans on the new cart?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dryland did you feel you had enough rubber under the cart for flotation and how much oil flow did you need to run the fans on the new cart?
Yes, had enough rubber. It has the high flotation package. 800 flex duals on the back and 800 flex singles on front. Ran it through some pretty wet mud a couple of times where the tractor got stuck, the cart stayed on top where the drill front castors went down. Plenty of flotation in my opinion.

For oil flow I have the mega-flow on my CNH tractor. Using the main pump 55g to run the drill and the seed fan. The fertilizer fan I run off the 35g pump. I have more than enough oil flow to run it.

I think I read somewhere that the cart alone takes close to 50 g to run, 25 for each fan. The seed motors are all 24v electric so fans are the only thing you are running for hydraulics.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yes, had enough rubber. It has the high flotation package. 800 flex duals on the back and 800 flex singles on front. Ran it through some pretty wet mud a couple of times where the tractor got stuck, the cart stayed on top where the drill front castors went down. Plenty of flotation in my opinion.

For oil flow I have the mega-flow on my CNH tractor. Using the main pump 55g to run the drill and the seed fan. The fertilizer fan I run off the 35g pump. I have more than enough oil flow to run it.

I think I read somewhere that the cart alone takes close to 50 g to run, 25 for each fan. The seed motors are all 24v electric so fans are the only thing you are running for hydraulics.
Doesn't the cart have all its own electrical system power? I'm sure those meter motors take a lot of power, I recall reading up to 500 watts per motor. So even though only the fans are hydraulic, doesn't the power required for the whole cart electrical need to be included in that hydraulic power?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Doesn't the cart have all its own electrical system power? I'm sure those meter motors take a lot of power, I recall reading up to 500 watts per motor. So even though only the fans are hydraulic, doesn't the power required for the whole cart electrical need to be included in that hydraulic power?
Yes, it has its own electrical power. 2 batteries and an alternator.

The alternator runs on its own hydraulic motor. It is plumbed in behind the fertilizer fan circuit, and the flow to the alternator is whatever is being delivered to that fan.

It would not take any more hydraulic flow to run the alternator, as it runs behind the fan motor. A small amount of hydraulic power would be required, but no additional flow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What happens to the electric motors that turn the rollovers if the alternator plays up. Does lower voltage mean less motor torque. Is anybody just running the one fan or using both for single or double shoot?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yes, it has its own electrical power. 2 batteries and an alternator.

The alternator runs on its own hydraulic motor. It is plumbed in behind the fertilizer fan circuit, and the flow to the alternator is whatever is being delivered to that fan.

It would not take any more hydraulic flow to run the alternator, as it runs behind the fan motor. A small amount of hydraulic power would be required, but no additional flow.
Wouldn't it then take significantly higher pressures then? The hp has to come from somewhere, and its a lot of watts.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What happens to the electric motors that turn the rollovers if the alternator plays up. Does lower voltage mean less motor torque. Is anybody just running the one fan or using both for single or double shoot?
If the alternator plays out then it needs replacing. Electric motors won't run with no power.

You could single shoot and just use one fan. The other fan could be turned off.

If you are double shooting you would use 2 fans.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wouldn't it then take significantly higher pressures then? The hp has to come from somewhere, and its a lot of watts.
No, it would not take "significantly" higher pressures. Tractor hydraulics are rated for around 3000 psi I'm guessing and the circuit is open ended.

The hp required I don't know what it would be, but on the 585 hp tractor I'm running an alternator would be pretty minor. Guessing the cab air conditioning unit would use more power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dryland How are the metering cartridges holding up with the dust from grain and fert. How many outlets are you using and what size bar. Sorry for all the questions just trying to see how various machines are set up by different dealers. ie 10 outlets for a 40ft machine would change roller speeds for a 8 outlet 80ft machine. One machine locally roller spreads are running to slow causing roller alarms to go off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have information about the 24v motors? Is their speed governed by voltage. Higher the voltage higher the speed therefore greater torque? A motor turning at 15 rpm would have less torque than a motor at 40 rpm? Also how are others finding the product gates with high rates. Seed getting caught up and blocking through them?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Anyone have information about the 24v motors? Is their speed governed by voltage. Higher the voltage higher the speed therefore greater torque? A motor turning at 15 rpm would have less torque than a motor at 40 rpm? Also how are others finding the product gates with high rates. Seed getting caught up and blocking through them?
They would pulse width modulation with rotational feedback for speed control.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts