The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to replenish my engine oil stocks and have always used Case #1 engine oil. It’s $135/5gal pail new or $75 bulk filling my empty pails at dealership (but possibly risking a bit of debris contamination with this method). I see Wal-Mart has 19L pails of Shell Rotella on for $62. Any reason a guy shouldn’t use Rotella in Case machines ranging from 1995-2015 or semi’s?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The sales pitch behind the Case 15-40 is it wont break down under heavy engine load as fast as the Shell Rotella. Specifically in a combine where the engine runs at 90-100% power load compared to a loader tractor or semi where the engine load might peak to 90% but isnt sitting there for hours on end.

Run the Case 15-40 in my combines and seeding tractor. Rotella in my trucks and other farm engines. The unscientific observation is when changing oil after a season the Case oil doesnt look as black and "dirty" compared to the Rotella when draining.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Shell is good oil. Maybe case isn’t putting as much detergent in their oil and is why it looks cleaner. Just wag

·
Registered
652 Posts
CNH is changing oil suppliers according to my dealer and I wouldn’t worry about contamination from bulk fill but there is nothing wrong with everyone else’s oil as long as it meets the teir 4 specs for newer engines.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree with dumbfarmer. If it meets the spec it should be comparable. I seem to change oil before the specified interval in season when it’s convenient so cheaper oil might not have the life expectancy but if changed regular is better than expensive stuff that’s black and dirty still being used.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
More out of curiosity of who was making it for them, took a bit of searching but finally found the source, Petronas out of Malaysia

·
Registered
441 Posts
I prefer T6, good for both gas and diesel engines.
The old Shell Rotella T6 was good for both gas and diesel engines, that changed 2 or 3 years ago. The current T6 has diesel only specifications.
Shell has brought out an oil called Shell Rotella Gas Truck.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
I run Rotella T6 is things that run in cold weather, which is most things I own. I buy it from walmart shipped to my door. So far, the cheapest place I can find it.

Make sure it meets required spec and is "approved for use by ----" The list is usually fairly long. Basically, use what the manual says to use.

As for gas engines. Again I use what the manual says. GM has a dexos rating. What ever that is. Seems to matter. Didn't have any the first time I did a dexos required change. The suburban's oil change did not last as long according to it's % oil life left. I would like to know how that is figured.

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
The old Shell Rotella T6 was good for both gas and diesel engines, that changed 2 or 3 years ago. The current T6 has diesel only specifications.
Shell has brought out an oil called Shell Rotella Gas Truck.
Actually...

Two T6 oils.
What to bet the product in the jugs are identical?
Marketing savvy applied for truckers who won’t put any of the “sissy“ gasoline oil in their big, bad diesel engine.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
That would be mighty handy to have a lab tech as a member on this forum who could take samples of oil and reverse engineer them to call BS or not to various oils and their additive packages. None of us have any way of truly knowing what is in that jug of oil or if its even the same formulation the next time we buy it. Certainly lots of money to be made by vehicle or equipment manufacturers by selling their own house brand of oil and try to scare the crap out of a customer to be afraid of all other oils. And even if lets say a person was running Shell T4 ( guessing that was the oil from walmart the original poster was looking at ) for years and years in the same implements and never have a problem, again even that isn't a true track record of the "same" oil as no doubt its changed somewhat as they bounce around buying the cheapest additive package they can that meets some spec.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Actually...
View attachment 158988
Two T6 oils.
What to bet the product in the jugs are identical?
Marketing savvy applied for truckers who won’t put any of the “sissy“ gasoline oil in their big, bad diesel engine.
I have never seen the T6 Rotella Multi-Vehicle oil, I will have to look for it. I see it only comes in a 5W-30.
The T6 diesel oil comes in a 0W-40 and 5W-40, so I doubt they are the same oil.

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
I have never seen the T6 Rotella Multi-Vehicle oil, I will have to look for it. I see it only comes in a 5W-30.
The T6 diesel oil comes in a 0W-40 and 5W-40, so I doubt they are the same oil.
If you just looked at 99+% of this jugs labels you’d think, yeah, just for diesels.
Just happen to have a jug in the garage:

But if you read 100% of the label

Sure enough, both CJ-4/SN. SN is the current highest gas engine rating.
Two letters the entire indication for gas engines on the jug.

Normally I would walk into my local UFA, have a coffee, compare jug labels, Brady would dig out the detailed technical manual, we’d compare together.

Ah, the good old days!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hahaha what the ****....15/40 non synthetic oil for 135/pail you've got to be shitting me.

Rotella is great oil. Holds up well in HEUI motors which tells me its good to go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you just looked at 99+% of this jugs labels you’d think, yeah, just for diesels.
Just happen to have a jug in the garage:
View attachment 158990
But if you read 100% of the label
View attachment 158989
Sure enough, both CJ-4/SN. SN is the current highest gas engine rating.
A slash and two letters the entire indication for gas engines on the jug.

Normally I would walk into my local UFA, have a coffee, compare jug labels, Brady would dig out the detailed technical manual, we’d compare together.

Ah, the good old days!
How old is your jug?
My oil is from USA, could that make a difference?
The front of your jug looks like my old jugs except for the volume and the French. My new jug is the same except it is saids Triple Protection Plus.

Old T6 5W-40 jug label includes diesel engines, gas engines and even motorcycle (JASO MA/MA2).
I

New T6 5W-40 Jug label

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm just wondering who you deal with if there is an issue with oil you buy at Walmart? Are you going to get a circle jerk going on or is Shell going to stand behind there product no questions? I know UFA is selling shell products and we haven't had issues, as the UFA guys have said if there is a problem, contamination or something like that, they will stand behind the product, and Shell will stand behind the product that they sell, warranty wise. If you dump a 5 gallon pail of oil into your combine engine and find water in the bottom of the pail, or so other contaminates, and you bought if from Walmart who do you talk to at the Walmart about fixing the problem? If you go to a shell dealer and they say take it up with the retailer you bought the oil from, is Walmart going make things right, and if they do how long are you going to have to fight with them? Most of the people who work at the walmarts in this are are pretty much bottom of the barrel. I know for damn sure I wouldn't take my personal vehicle there for any service.

I'm not saying don't buy oil from them I'm just wondering if its worth the hassle of dealing with them. We had a barrel of oil that when we started pumping oil out of it it was mostly water. Called the dealer/retailer that we got it from and they were out with a new barrel in about half an hour took the contaminated barrel back and before they left made sure out pump was clean. The issues was a select lot of barrels were missing or had cracked seals around the fill hole and water got in either threw storage, or shipping. I haven't had good luck dealing with anything other than food from walmart. And even though the bottle says shell on it and I'm sure it comes from shell, I'd have a really hard time using the oil in a $625,000 combine. Kind of like the pants that say Wrangler, but last less than a week before they are falling apart, your better off walking away than trying to have them honor any warranty or guarantee from them or the manufacture. It doesn't seem to matter what department, had a slow cooker that didn't work, and a the tv that doesn't work out of the box, and several other things that were either broken or didn't work straight from the store an better luck getting water from a stone.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts