The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone build a machine shed in the last few years? Thinking of building a large shed for cold storage, something in the 20,000 sq/ft range. Probably 22-24 ft high walls, a couple 50 ft wide doors. Want to out all machinery in here, combines, tractors, seeders, augers, semis etc. 1 door would be used often almost daily for semis, augers etc.

What company did you go with? What company to stay away from? Steel, wood post, zipperlock. Grade beam or not?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I put up a 60X100X18 with a 40' bifold from Norquay Co-op very good people they did the whole shed in 2 1/2 days they were amazing very happy with them. Also have a 48X120X16 built by MacDarmit out of Winnipeg but the Norquay coop was nicer to deal with. Both buildings are wood post. Norquay has there own crew that comes with all there own equipment to drill holes lift rafters zoom booms and lifts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brent our cold storage shed should be built this month. Our decision came down to either a pole shed or Zipperlock building. Pole storage is cheaper than Zipperlock. For our building it was 20 k difference. While we really liked the Zipperlock shed but the pole shed made more sense to us with regards to door options and the the straight walls. Also the builder we hired is from just north of you and in our opinion does excellent work. (He built our workshop). I guess being familiar with the builder and trusting him was a major factor in making our decision. We have a neighbor close by with a one year old Zipperlock building in case you would like to view one first hand.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have a Goodon and Prairie Post Frame pole shed and next one will be PPF for sure. Can't comment on other options. Make sure it's on high ground with excellent surface drainage around it, a lot of water comes off the roof of one of those when it rains! You also might want to talk to your insurance agent about a building that size and exactly how much $$$ will be inside it at any given time.;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Stay away from the sliding doors. Either get bi-folds or a door you can lift straight up. The sliding doors ice up in the winter and spring, and frost heaves mean sometimes you can't move the doors until you chip away an inch of frozen ground. Just a general headache

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
Are any of you concerned in 20 years the posts maybe a little rotten in the ground and break off in a wind storm with a pole building?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hey Brent just wondering if you made any decision on a building or contractor?

I'm still looking and undecided. If anybody else has had a good experience close to MJ, and willing to share that would be good.
Also wondering how long those posts in the crushed rock last, lift or settle?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I haven't decided anything yet. Haven't looked much lately either. I'm really thinking I will spend the money and go grade beam and steel. I worried about posts over time and want to build something that could last my kids also. Considering 2 buildings instead of 1 now also. Thinking I could build a lower wall with smaller doors for semis augers tractors etc that are used often, than one with tall walls for seeders and combines etc. this would also help with my yards layout.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I too am a little concerned about post frame. Would be interesting to here from some guys that may have had a post frame for several years.
Prairie Steel out of the Clavet that manufacture an all steel building that has a steel foundation that ties the posts together and can be placed on a cement pile or screw pile. Very close to a post frame in price.
I am going to get a quote from integrity post, with the cement post in the ground.
Has anyone had any experience with either of these companies. Integrity or Prairie Steel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your concerned with post frame in the ground, drill holes and pour concrete piles. Metal brackets and bolt poles or multi plank beams to bracket. Then if concrete slab is desired later it's as simple as forming in and pouring up to and around piles.

Seen a building done like this and thought it to be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
460 our small shed is Prairie steel building. We put it on top of a floating pad with a reinforced thicker edge. I worry about the longevity of posts in the ground. It probably depends a lot on the soil and drainage. Putting posts on top of piles makes sense but increases cost.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
For cold storage it would be fine. I would try to put the 4x4 steel beam on the base of the building on concrete or crush rock if I could so there would be no rust issues. Their metal sheeting is heavy but do not know how it compares to other companies.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prairie Steel looks like a good building, I have got quotes and they seem reasonable. One thing I don't like is they sell you a building but you pretty much have to find your own builder. I agree they might be similar price to post.

Anyone else have one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts