The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a whole buncher or other such contraption on their combine to make small piles for field grazing. I would love to see some pictures and hear your advice about this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Over here some farmers use these chaff carts to collect the weed seeds exiting their harvesters. It is mainly used as another non-herbicide method of reducing the weed seedbank, particularly where herbicide resistant ryegrass is a problem, but also other weeds. Sometimes these chaff dumps are grazed by livestock around here, but mostly they are burnt to eliminate the weed seeds.
Riteway Farming Australia - Chaff Cart

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Been a few stories on the Prairie Farm Report about it, I remember the one place pulled a Jiffy Hydump behind the combine. Something that lost favor in the days of no till farming it seems. Guess the ultimate one was the McLeod Harvest system. Should be lots of those chaff blowers and wagons around in your part of the country if you go dig around some of the old places that no longer run cows. They weren't very common around here, mostly just the blowers and chaff cyclones on the back of the combine to put it into the straw.

·
Registered
931 Posts
We use to have a chaff collector on our 6601 and 7721 in the day pulled a dump wagon behind the combine when full would trip it then had a MaKee forage harvester that we would pick up the straw rows and piles as we went along. Also would load just chaff at times by loading straw first on the floor then chaff ontop we would line up the big loaves in the cattle yard and feed with a electric fence in the winter moving it back a bit every day. Dad would also leave the chaff piles in the field and the cows would feed out there once we had enough in the yard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One of my neighbors does it, leaves lots of small piles every ~100 feet, he's had good success, prefers it to pulling a chaff wagon which he had done previous. An old fella by Vermilion used a chaff wagon for years and years, I've never spoken to him about it, but there are no more chaff piles where their used to be so he may be out of cattle or found a system he liked better. For a while we had a blower and a cyclone on the back of the combines to leave the chaff on top of the straw swath, baler picked it up. Cheap and easy way to increase the feed value of straw, but that's not what you're asking. Sorry don't have any pics or specs on the neighbors machine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My understanding is that you have to be kind of careful to not make the piles too big, it creates trouble during seeding, pretty sure the neighbor uses a blower in conjunction with his straw chopper, collects all of it, sounds like what you're describing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a blower and cyclone on our 9600 when we bought it. Made great straw bales but the blower was wore out and started giving trouble so I took it off. We used to drop straw in windrows and let the cows pick on it but it could be a hassle to clean up the following spring. The little piles every so many feet looks like a good idea. I did some reading and found out the whole buncher costs 4500 bucks. Have to get out and see cows grazing these piles to get some perspective before I make any decisions.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have a cyclone from crary not wore out I would sell it cheap I wanna go back to a chaff spreader because the chaff saver is a pain in the ass switching back and forth and in flax it plugs easy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a cyclone from crary not wore out I would sell it cheap I wanna go back to a chaff spreader because the chaff saver is a pain in the ass switching back and forth and in flax it plugs easy
We took ours off for that reason too. Burned too many belts and was starting to affect our mental health. Good when it worked.
We knew a guy who chopped and dropped in the swath. He somehow turned the chopper fins down so it would blow on the ground. I wonder if it would work on a buncher?

·
Registered
2 Posts
On our place we pull a old foster wagon behind a 1682 to make bunches for our cows. We have a spout off the redekop chopper and it blows it all into the wagon. We experimented with a old stackhand 10 picking up straw rows dropped by our cr9070 this year too. Added another job but it seemed to work not to badly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seen a small collector that dumped small little piles for field grazing.it worked with a counterbalance weight and was on a conventional combine(9600),just wondering if anyone has tried to do this on a rotary JD.Would need to collect chaff before it’s mixed with the straw discharge.Would still like to chop and spread straw.Maybe I’d be better off to find an old conventional for this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone use a whole buncher or other such contraption on their combine to make small piles for field grazing. I would love to see some pictures and hear your advice about this.
There is a farmer between Olds and Calgary that has been doing that. Don’t know his name. Should be something on the inter webs. What combine do you have?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Go to - Canadian Cattleman.ca and crop residue recycling. There is a good article there. Seems you would still have to hot wire your field or the cows will just wander all over. Unless you have an old JD8820 and drove like crazy I think the cows will starve to death!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seen a small collector that dumped small little piles for field grazing.it worked with a counterbalance weight and was on a conventional combine(9600),just wondering if anyone has tried to do this on a rotary JD.Would need to collect chaff before it’s mixed with the straw discharge.Would still like to chop and spread straw.Maybe I’d be better off to find an old conventional for this?

You dont need a conventional. We have two 8120s we use to bunch. works awesome

1 - 15 of 15 Posts