The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever heard of this variety ? It was the only seed I could find this spring...even the seed seller can not tell me anything about them . Peas were the last thing I planted this spring they jumped out of the ground and we're nice dark green did not get really tall they flowered before any other peas in the area even one that were planted earlier . Just after they started to flower we got almost 1 inch of rain and stayed nice and cool for ten plus days.....thought I was going to have best pea crop ever.....never paid any attention to them thought I had a slam dunk for sure....know to reality started cutting them only going to do about 24 bu acre . They are the smallest peas I have ever seen .the seed was pretty small compared to the yellow peas I usually grow.so I wonder if this normall for this variety ? Or was there a health issuing ...did have a small hail storm go through did not even hurt the oats that much? I brought some of the seeds and plants into msu to see what they thought . The seeds look like they went through a horrible heat wave or drought . They were 63 # 17 protein....I did inoculate them definitely had problems getting a uniform job...
H ideas

·
Registered
848 Posts
A couple of guesses. The peas here got flooded out and hailed a week later. Peas don't like wet feet and any standing water kills the yield. I recall one year when we got a downpour around the 1st of August when the pods were filling. The high ground was OK, but the peas in the low spots were the size of BBs. Any yellowing after a rain means a yield loss. We found large wet areas that we didn't know about in the recent very wet years. Pods don't fill if they're hit by hailstones. Look for white bruises on the pods. That's enough, they don't need to be shredded. A yield monitor may find water runs or hail streaks for you.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quappelle you were correct we had some very light hail....and msu confirmed that it was a bacteria blight .. Said there was nothing I could do.....msu also had a guess on the varity was that it was a publics variety and some company just put there name on it...kinda like chemicals ...I was reall happy with them and especially how quick they grew and how early they flowered before we got any real heat......I always figured that peas could handle hail better than oats and barley.....on the last field I cut today the farthest south one you could see a distinct line at a forty five to the way I sprayed and planted them and the normal direction to the normal weather pattern.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.