The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Funny you posted that,I watched it this morning, not a lot of help! I am trying to figure this CR combine out in canola now. Can't keep my canola from going over sieves. Anyways may have some questions tomorrow for another thread.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Quite the expert...

Canola going over sieves usually tells me over threshing (and overloading) and no matter what you try on sieve settings it won't fix it. Is it worst in the heat of the day and better in the morning and evening?

Concave extensions outer position, as wide on the concave as possible, rotors in low range, slow as they go. I'd try upper at 8-10, lower at 6-8, wind about 750-850. presieve closed or 1 notch. The NH and CIH flagship machines need a little wider on the sieves that sometimes makes sense so you can get the air up and through them to keep the lighter chaff from overloading everything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quite the expert...

Canola going over sieves usually tells me over threshing (and overloading) and no matter what you try on sieve settings it won't fix it. Is it worst in the heat of the day and better in the morning and evening?

Concave extensions outer position, as wide on the concave as possible, rotors in low range, slow as they go. I'd try upper at 8-10, lower at 6-8, wind about 750-850. presieve closed or 1 notch. The NH and CIH flagship machines need a little wider on the sieves that sometimes makes sense so you can get the air up and through them to keep the lighter chaff from overloading everything.
Thanks Andy, I have not opened it up that far. And I haven't run rotor below 650, and usually running fan at 570 so hopefully try that out later. We are standstill again. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Niel Burg …. This will sound a little far fetched, but it works. Set your sieves the same as your best hard red wheat setting, fan at about 640rpm, concave at around 15/16" and rotors at 1150 rpm. You may need to up or down the fan a bit but it should be close. There should be almost no returns . The high rotor speed is centrifugally separating the canola from the trash . You should see a nice clean sample with virtually no mechanical damage to the seeds, almost impossible to throw over the sieves and the capacity of the combine should increase .
I know this is no where near the book will tell you to set up for but give it a try for all the time its takes. Been do it like this for years and it works on this farm.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find a lot off fan settings are very low this year ,think this is due to cold air and high humidity if I run fan in ca 640 it will fly out the back .

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah so you got your chains and belts eh and get adjusted right so ya it goes in and ya so pulverize it real good and everybody different expellers right and so a clean sample with the thick stalks so ya you start right you know when you've ran one of these for a year you're good to go the next year and so yeah........

It's in the wrong category...should be under the joke section.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Niel Burg …. This will sound a little far fetched, but it works. Set your sieves the same as your best hard red wheat setting, fan at about 640rpm, concave at around 15/16" and rotors at 1150 rpm. You may need to up or down the fan a bit but it should be close. There should be almost no returns . The high rotor speed is centrifugally separating the canola from the trash . You should see a nice clean sample with virtually no mechanical damage to the seeds, almost impossible to throw over the sieves and the capacity of the combine should increase .
I know this is no where near the book will tell you to set up for but give it a try for all the time its takes. Been do it like this for years and it works on this farm.
Thanks I tried this when it was tough one morning, it worked very well until it got bone dry. I started overloading the sieves so I went with the settings Andy suggested except my fan was much lower. I opened it up 1 7/16" and all my problems went away. I was very happy with the performance in the 4 hours we went yesterday and the hour today! Bloody rain!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
The best is how ya need to oil the belts during your pre season checks!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Cripes! The man`s a bl**dy Genius!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone here tried cutting the humped grain pan down in half? My dealer recommended it to me & noticed a difference right away, and i run my rotors down around 500-600 RPM. The other trick that not everyone knows is slowing the seive drive down, i tried but couldnt keep a clean sample

1 - 17 of 17 Posts