The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:Don,
I am interested in how some the various combines that you have demoed or rode in compare in barley, wheat , canola or peas.

I have a JD cts and JD 9860 and the 9860 is good in peas and barley, but a disappointment in wheat. My 9860 likes short canola and tough canola straw but struggled with shoe overload in taller crops of canola or dryer canola straw. In spring wheat the last two years I really struggled to get rid of the white caps and not overload the shoe. For part of the afternoon or on days with very dry straw I could do 12-1400 bushels/hour according to the monitor, but for most of the time the 9860 was only doing 750-850 bus/hour which I think is unacceptable for this combine.

In reading the posts Don I understand that you have a 9860 and a 9070 and demoed a 9870 and drove/rode in the 590r. I am interested in your opinions of capacity throughout the day with the different combines and likes/ dislikes if you could share them with everyone.

I have read lots about the lexion, but not much how the 9870 and 9070 fit into your thoughts.

Do you have any sidehills where you live that would show the effectiveness of the self levelling cleaning system in the new holland and lexion versus the deere?

Thank you.

I generally agree except I can't save peas worth a dam regardless of setting or feed rate. I've never done that much wheat and 600/hr in canola without significant loss would be cause for celebration (doesn't take much for me). Deere clings to that auger bed material mixing system (MMS). With MMS the chaffer just doesn't have chance with all that material mixed together regardless of what you do to the chaffer itself. This also results in erratic performance sometimes good ,sometimes bad. ALL others are classified before they hit the chaffer. This is about the 4th time I've mentioned this and no one has challenged me. Hmm.
OK 9860/9070. The 9070 always had a cleaner sample and always had less loss (both probably due to MMS and self level and I think the rotors separate better) in fact almost always just ran it to engine power limit set at 400. BUT it hates tough straw and detests damp or green straw.
The cab is the quietest of all of them but I hate that clicking button to get out of neutral set-up. Really annoying when topping up loads. Speaking of which that 07 spout must have been designed in a lounge,about 4 A.M. Leaks, scattered discharge blows 30 degrees to the left...and in general. Definitely fits in my piss poor spout hall of shame. Chaff spreader and chopper excellent, evener than Deere which tends to favor left side. Zero service air cleaner and rad. Cleaned air filter once on Deere.
Yes we have some rolling ground (it is Three Hills after all) and leveling shoe would have helped. Far better feeder reverser than that crash box set-up on Deere. This 9070 had the new touch screen, good set-up. But the noises it makes, about 80% unnecessary, makes me ask do 15 year olds buy combines?
I'll stop ranting now someone else's turn.

Don

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don,
I am interested in how some the various combines that you have demoed or rode in compare in barley, wheat , canola or peas.

I have a JD cts and JD 9860 and the 9860 is good in peas and barley, but a disappointment in wheat. My 9860 likes short canola and tough canola straw but struggled with shoe overload in taller crops of canola or dryer canola straw. In spring wheat the last two years I really struggled to get rid of the white caps and not overload the shoe. For part of the afternoon or on days with very dry straw I could do 12-1400 bushels/hour according to the monitor, but for most of the time the 9860 was only doing 750-850 bus/hour which I think is unacceptable for this combine.

In reading the posts Don I understand that you have a 9860 and a 9070 and demoed a 9870 and drove/rode in the 590r. I am interested in your opinions of capacity throughout the day with the different combines and likes/ dislikes if you could share them with everyone.

I have read lots about the lexion, but not much how the 9870 and 9070 fit into your thoughts.

Do you have any sidehills where you live that would show the effectiveness of the self levelling cleaning system in the new holland and lexion versus the deere?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don and others who have run the 9870 in small grains and the 590r,

Deere claims the 9870 has 15% more capacity than the 9860. Did you see this in your demo in small grains?

On an overall harvest how would the 590r compare to a 9860? Would it be 20% larger, 50% larger,......?

I am looking at finding a combine that would comfortably harvest more acres per day. The 9860 is a very good combine in small grains some days and not so great other days. It would be nice to have something that is consistently great.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Don and others who have run the 9870 in small grains and the 590r,

Deere claims the 9870 has 15% more capacity than the 9860. Did you see this in your demo in small grains?

On an overall harvest how would the 590r compare to a 9860? Would it be 20% larger, 50% larger,......?

I am looking at finding a combine that would comfortably harvest more acres per day. The 9860 is a very good combine in small grains some days and not so great other days. It would be nice to have something that is consistently great.

Is it legal to ask such tough questions with your fist 2 posts? Guess so. Dam.
But seriously bud, Deere's claim of 115% 9870/9860 seems reasonable to me. I only had 1 afternoon/evening and only in canola with it. So it was shoe limited same as always in canola.
I see you run 2 machines, would be helpful to know your crops and area? Is it your intention to run just one? There has been a thread on that very topic 2vs1, you may want to look it up.
Here is my slant on the topic. I take off 4000 to 5000 tonnes per year. I ran the 2 combines this year and I did not like it and I especially didn't like running 2 different makes that I was the only one the knew anything about either one of them. So training takes time, plus the extra body and logistically it's a bigger headache. A senior farming friend of mine once told me " You will never do twice as much with two machines, it's closer to one and two-thirds". This takes into consideration all logistics but I do follow the spirit of the statement. With a 9860 I only average about 17 tonnes/hour across wheat, peas, barley, canola. And in the end average is what it is all about. Not the glory figures generally referred to in this forum.
I've ran the 590R but not in the same field. Don't have to, I get it. Completely in a class by itself. I have no doubt it could pull 25 to 30 average tonnes per hour maybe the bright side of 30. That would require moving to 40 ft headers, another logistical consideration.
So farming life goes.
Never boring!

Don

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don,

I live about an hour from you, south of Drumheller, AB. I used to own a 9600 and cts combine to do about 5000 acres and traded the 9600 on a 9860 thinking that eventually it would be the one machine to take off all my acres. It isn't.

For about 1/2 of the time the cts combine is in the lead because the 9860 can't catch it. I am extremely disappointed in my 9860 in wheat, and overall I don't think it has enough capacity increase to justify its price.

The cts combine was JD attempt to copy the lexion combine. It has many limitations compared to a lexion, but it gives me some idea of what the capability of a lexion might be. Power limitation is usually what holds the cts combine back.

I agree that 2 combines is only about the same as 1.5 times the capacity of 1 combine unless you can increase your labour force.

Strongly thinking of going to one large combine, but was not sure which one to pick and I know that you have seriously been looking at them all this fall.

I am still not sure of Finnings (cat dealer) commitment to agriculture. They have only one saleman in the Calgary location which tells me that they don't care to sell to anyone but there 2 or 3 big customers.

Resale on the lexion combines has been terrible up till now. Hopefully the 590r will cure that. I already own a cts combine and have experienced first hand how tough it is to get good resale on a machine that no one else wants.

If going to a 590r, it may be prudent to lease it for the first time to make sure you like it, as then you have a fixed resale value.

I would not like to harvest peas or short barley with a 40 foot header in my hills.

Sorry to put you on the spot on the combine comparisons, but I have read lots of corn comparisons, but not a lot of wheat and canola comparisons between a JD 60 series and everything else.

I am only averaging about 13 acres per separator hour on my 9860, which is too low for me. It would take almost 400 hours to do my acres with a 9860, and my season is not long enough to get top grades for all my crop in that 400 hour window.

Thank you,
Bud

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote: And in the end average is what it is all about. Not the glory figures generally referred to in this forum.

Don

Thank you Don, a very wise statement. +1

The Wanderer

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bud
We're pretty much on the same page across the board. In fact I'll only address the things that I see slightly differently don't want to wear out my welcome here.
By 40' I meant FD 70 MacDon. Check them out at Agri-Trade.
Put me on the spot? No problem.
Thats it! Completely agree with the rest.
I will PM you my home #.
Thanks

Don

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote:
The cts combine was JD attempt to copy the lexion combine. It has many limitations compared to a lexion, but it gives me some idea of what the capability of a lexion might be. Power limitation is usually what holds the cts combine back.
Bud

Actually, while it is true the Lexions were in Europe at least 1.5 to 2 years before being sold in North America, that does not place them ahead of the CTS design, which was marketed in North America, in 1991. The only thing I really regret, is that having rotors to only replace the walkers, still gave the image of rotary technology, a fact Deere did not want to overly publicize. Although immensely successful as a rice and later general use combine, the original CTS' were more or less "closeted" and reated more like a "love child," rather than given the respect, fanfare and attention they fully deserved.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The JD cts works well in small grains, but needed some major improvements in design to compete with the lexions. I was told that it would cost too much to make the improvements and when Deere quit promoting the cts combines and finally quit selling them the resale has dropped on them here.

The overshot beater on the cts design never worked all that well, but was done for patent reasons. The lexion design with the undershot beater looked like the correct way to do it.

In small grains the cts would severly overload the cleaning shoe with ground up straw. A larger cleaning system or the ability to slow the separator rotors down would have made a huge difference in ability to set the machine. The cts combines have way more separator capacity than my sts combine has.

The lexion designs of today (590r) sure seem to have included all the features that I thought would have been nice in the cts design such as:
1. more power
2. undershot beater
3. bigger cleaning system and self leveling4.
4. variable speed separating rotors
5. adjustable blanking plates for the separators that can be put in or out from the cab to adjust to the straw dryness throughout the day.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

The overshot beater on the cts design never worked all that well, but was done for patent reasons.

It was mentioned to me earlier this summer by someone in the ag manufacturing business that he had been studying patents and had found a design not greatly unlike the Lexion that Deere had been working on (no idea how he'd know that). He was hoping that's what 70 series was going to be instead of, by comparison, the glorified decal bending we got. Anyone any wiser? And not one of those tell ya/kill ya guys.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bud
I Personal Messaged my home # to you. Give me a call.
Don't want to bore the rest of the crowd.

Don

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks Don,

I will call you when I get a little time. I was hoping that others who harvest spring planted small grains would join in an give an honest first hand account of capacity differences between all the different machines.

Seems to me that most brands have the same resale value today and the dealers that are left in the business are pretty good. The poorer dealers seem to have disappeared.

Depreciation is getting to be such a large cost on these 3-400000 dollar machines that if one is 30% larger than another it is a big deal at the end of 3 years of ownership.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:Thanks Don,

I was hoping that others who harvest spring planted small grains would join in an give an honest first hand account of capacity differences between all the different machines.

Yes, me to, that would great. And I was honest! Ha, ha I knew what you meant.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote: We combine between 25,000 and 28,000 tonnes a year with the 4 machines. As for tonnes an hour it is approximately 19.3 tonnes/hr. (estimates)
Jester so roughly 6000 to 7000 tonnes/year/machine 335-340 threshing hours per year, pretty good. Here in township 32 if we start by Aug 20 we're lucky (usually peas). When does your harvest generally start? Sounds Like your crop rotation helps and you apparently like flax except the straw.
I think it just struck me who you are. With out giving you away was your family involved in marketing a seed boot? You can PM or e-mail me, My e-mail address is not hidden in my profile. Or you can do nothing and keep me in suspense (you don't seem like that kind of guy). Whatever you decide thank you, for all your input.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts