The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
How longs the piece of string in my hand...?

crop type and yield, field conditions, machine type (rotary, conventional, transverse, hybrid), machine size, topography...

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,691 Posts
How big is the hole in a donut?

10litre Iveco’s in my 8010’s have spot rates of 55 up to 80litres an hour depending on engine load.............

I could probably dig up a field average somewhere in the screen.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fuel usage will vary significantly depending on the harvest conditions. I like to think of things in terms of fuel burned per acre. My 8120 burned .72 gal/acre cutting 35 bu spring wheat, 1.28 gal/acre cutting 85 bu winter wheat, and 1.74 gal/acre cutting 50 bu winter canola.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
S77 120 gallons in 9 hrs is the norm over the last five years. That’s going pretty steady only stopping to take a leak and do the occasional walk around. It uses more if there’s snow in the forcast and less if there’s an abundance of sunny warm weather.

·
Registered
334 Posts
540 challenger with 7 cylinder sisu, .55 gallons per acre in 50 bushel wheat, with 40ft. macdon. picking up 36ft barley swaths was .48 gallons per acre.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I never done the math to figure gallons per acre but keep the gallon/hour usage up on the screen most of the time and watch it. If running 60% to 70% engine load it will be in the 14 - 15 gallon/hr, if pushing hard and running around 90% load it will get up to 17 - 18 gallon/hr. This is doing soybeans with a 40' MacDon on an S88 Gleaner. We have a lot of small fields, 40 acres or less so acres per hour are all over the chart. If in a larger field where we can run and not be going in circles on point rows etc.. I can cut close to 20 acres an hour, if dealing with small fields we may be down to 13-15 acres an hour. In wheat if it isn't really green stem engine load hardly ever gets over 70%.

·
Registered
334 Posts
good question on the computer accuracy but really who gives a crap.fill it up with fuel, do the job,and move on to the next field. the struggle this harvest was just to get the job done.i would be kinda mad if I was using a gallon an acre but if that's what the conditions require then there's nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
We Measure the fuel all the time. I’m very anal when it come to knowing things. Lol. Is very very Close. That’s on 8250s.

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
Just came off a season where due to uncured and damp straw not to mention record volumes, some fields doubled normal fuel use per ha and 35% more per tonne.

Not sure what consumption parameter you are seeking?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Our combine averaged 1.21g/acre this year according to the monitor.
1.08g/acre last year.
Per hour fuel use doesn’t tell you much but it was
17.98 g/separator hour

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reason I asked how accurate the computer monitors are is that some of the older vehicles (15 years old ) were not that accurate when giving a read out of mi/gal or l/100km.
The newer technology sounds like it is much better.

I'm also interested if anyone has compared fuel usage when straight cutting non-desiccated canola vs swathing and combining. Every year will be somewhat different, but is the fuel usage greater when straight cutting canola vs fuel used by both the swather and combine together when combining swaths?
I know I was surprised by how much more fuel I used when straight cutting canola. Still like doing it that way however. Because of the late maturity due to lack of summer weather in our area, I did swath the canola this year for a quicker dry down. Stalks were still quite green by the time the canola was down to 14% moisture.;)

P.S. The little 3.9L engine in my swather runs pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I still remember our old 750 MF with a 372 perkins non turbo. 50 gallons of fuel would dam near do 18 hrs. Filled every second day usually. 50 -70 acres was a big day in swathed wheat. I think the unloading auger on it was the bottle neck more than anything. Our old N6 Gleaner would unload 3 times faster back then. Never had grain carts back then but the driver under the Massey would use up a mile to unload I bet lol. My Gleaner had the motor blow before I got it and KMK had put in a mechanical 8.3 Cummins in there. 8.5 gal/hr at 15-20 lbs boost under a load. Gal/ acre means way more than by the hr. Work achieved from a gallon of fuel is the reason bigger is supposed to be better. Some of this new iron really are pigs on fuel regardless of acres harvested. The emissions kill fuel economy and the def they use can be unreal. Having all that added heat of 28 gal/hr in combustible dust really would be a challenge preventing a fire.

·
Registered
334 Posts
if your using 1.21 gallons per acre and never have a problem with powering down then that's one less thing you have to worry about.the amount of fuel you used is what it is. trying to get a better number involves a lot of input and upgrades.header width, grain cart, unload times,terrain layout,[like we cut in mile long fields and this helps bigtime],max load 80% of the time, and most important is the nut behind the wheel. watched a neighbor with two 8230's cut a field on the angle and maybe averaged 10 acres an hour per machine.merry xmas everyone!

·
Registered
793 Posts
9870 about an Imp gallon per acre, 1.2 USG, 60 bu wheat, 40 bu canola swaths. Can vary 10% depending on field conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts