The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1997 Case 2188 with 2500 hours on it. I was wondering is that a lot of hours for a combine or what is sort of the max amount of hours you want to have on a used combine? The least amount is the best, but its hard to find 2188's with 300-1000 hours on them.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The 2388 series was introduced in 1998, so if you were to find a 2188 with that low of hours (300-1000), the thing was more like a trophy than a useful combine.

2005-1997 = Probably 9 seasons of use. This is 277 hours per season. The combines on our farm see about 250-300 hours per season. The combines that go on a custom harvesting run would see about 600-800 hours in the season.

There are a lot of 1400 and 1600 series combines out there yet. Somebody will use that 2188 for a great many more hours before it goes to the junk yard. The question is how good is the price for what it is?

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:I would have thought the combies on custom harvesting would have saw a lot more hours than that

Yeah, it seems people here in the US don't work quite as hard as those overseas. It is rare for us to run a combine 16 hours a day, day after day. The dew in the morning causes some delay, as do the grain elevators that don't want to take grain all night long.

I just laugh when I hear of a grain elevaor that is running 8-5 hours. People, farming isn't a 8-5 sort of job.

-Lance

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi, we are usually held up in the moning because of the dew or because of out 'typical scottish weather' (RAIN)

The combines will run all night if the conditions are O.K but that is because we either put the grain into bins or haul it to a shed like in 1 of your pictures Lance

Thanks,
Gordon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts