The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I've had my dealer inspect my 1660 combine and do most of the major repairs while I've done the minor stuff. Mainly because I've always had a full-time or more recently part-time job and also was not real familiar with the machine when I started out. Downtime is a real killer for me, and I've gotten along fairly good going this route. This year, though, my dealer got bought out (by "guess who") and they want $500 for an inspection and I think they get $6/mile each way for hauling (even though they usually have a back haul). So, that puts me at $1000 before they fix a thing.

Think I'll do it myself. Probably something I should have been doing anyway. By the way, I'll be shopping around for the parts now too. Dealer, in a quest to make a few extra bucks is going to cost themselves thousands in business each year.

What do the rest of your dealers charge for an inspection?

Going to have to think about a different color combine next time since I sometimes drive by three Deere dealers to get to my red dealer.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
don't know if it helps but we are in australia and we use a bloke that comes around to our farm. we set a date and he comes for a week or how ever long we need him. we try to do most of the work ourselfs. so don't know if you could find a bloke like that.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
When we bought our 2388 just recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that the header check with the new dealer would cost $550 dollars travel included, previously it would cost at least $750. As for the work we are like you in the way that we do the minor stuff but leave the major or complicated stuff to the dealer.

steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is amazing, that's just for an inspection? Here our local dealer charges $ 175,- Canadian for a 150 point inspection. He did mine and then fixed the PTO splined shaft and all the bushings on the shakers and he set me back $ 2250 CAD (on a 15 year old 1688) the minor stuff I did myself. We just drove the combine out on a warm day (it was actually "not so cold", above freezing that is) in December and picked it up in March or so...So no trucking costs. When we rent something from them though they charge $ 150 CAD one way (8 miles out of town) so that's a little steep I think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We do a free combine inspection on over 100 combines all over Illinois, as long as you bought it from us and get all of the parts through us there is no charge. On a few that are far away (over 100 miles) they pay for the gas, but that is still a good deal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Our old dealer was bought out by Titan and the old dealer was $200 for the inspection. So the next winter we signed up with Titan for a inspection that was the same and it was $450. Needless to say we are done with Titans inspections.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will work on at least 30 combines this summer. Ther is no inspection fee. I fix what is needed and contact the owner when a major fix is needed so there is no surprises. They dont bring them to be inspected just fixed. I have a few people who want me to come out and tell me what they need to fix but my standard answer is if your smart enough to fix it you should be able to look it over yourself.Maybe a little snide but they are always the ones that waste your time with 20 phone calls on how to fix something. 12 combines done and 20 or so to go. Man I hope it doesnt hit 95 again.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i am jealous of you guys that only have $100-$200 inspection fees, I could be wrong but i think that would be unheard of here.

steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Usually, if they are inspecting it at the dealership, I am going to spend anywhere from $2000-$10,000 with them on parts and labor.

I just don't see $500 worth of labor in an inspection. I'm going to try to find a private guy to do it. I once had the dealer come to my place and do it and it took about an hour to cover most of the main points.

Brandon

·
Registered
735 Posts
I do charge $100 for combine inspection, I loosen or remove all belts, check all bearings, ect., however if a belt needs replaced I don't charge flat rate on replacing belt when all I have to do is roll around pulley and around other belts. I however am never done inspecting a combine until it leaves the shop, I'm afraid your $500 inspection is someone on commision running around the combine trying to get done as fast as possible and check things that don't really need it, "well last combine had this problem this one will too", and bypass something that they don't want to do. This is the way dealers are becoming, do it as fast and you make more money. I know I used to work in a big green/yellow shed. I did it right, they said faster, I told them to stick it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree that the price is getting up there. Our local dealer is $399 for the 149 point CIH checklist plus a couple points of local concern. I dont think thats too bad considering the shop rate is $110.00/hr and it takes them 6 hrs to go thru a combine. They will have a winter promo that waves the trucking or you can get a wash job. I guess my feeling is if I spend $500.00 or $1000.00and the dont find anything wrong (which has never happened yet) its worth it to me for peace of mind, also that $1000.00 is nothing, if you dont do a inspection and loose a day in the field over something that would have been found and fixed then. I guess I dont care if its $100.00 or $1000.00, it just better be a thourgh inspection and it better run when it hits the field!

·
Registered
102 Posts
redtech-
I would agree with you if it took the mechanic 6 hrs. for the inspection. However the last one I had was maybe an hour and half and it was $450.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont understand why a dealer would rush thru or do a poor inspection. If they dont find anything wrong, what will they have to fix? If they miss too many things who would bring the combine to them again? It seems they have as much to loose as we do! Here in Manitoba those winter combine inspections are their bread and butter. As for the 1 1/2 hr inspection, you would be hard pressed to open all shields,check oils and adjust belts in that time. I dont know about others but at my dealer the concaves come out, feeder hsg covers are off,front rotor cover off. Once the inspection is done the tech goes over the list while we walk around the combine so I know for sure its been checked. From reading the other comments I think they do one of the better inspections.

·
Registered
102 Posts
redtech-

I would say they do a better inspection because there is no belt or chain adjusting done and the only oil that was checked was the ones with the dipstick which takes all on 1 minute. They would give me a list on what they thought was a potential problem but it is not worht the $450-$500.

·
Registered
117 Posts
we charge 299.00 and give 10% off parts and labor. it takes me on average about 5-6 hours to do it depending how dirty it is. A rolling torque gets thrown in if needed on the finals ( go by work records for that). pulling the rotor is 250.00 extra. An inspection that takes only 1-2 hours is not acceptable even for a seasoned wrench. Let`s put it into perspective:most truck shops are over100-120/hr a car dealership wher you get your pickups fixed is as high, and your combine is the most expensive tool on your farm. Last fall in this part of the country one day of down time was the difference of getting done in the fall or waiting till March for many people. Find a reliable wrench to inspect and fix the machine it`s less than one binfull of corn for us to inspect it`s worth it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts