The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the response I received by posting a few pictures on another thread, here are a few more, 2388 specific. I'll add more on a regular basis. I'm sure that many of you have pics from other plants, (any color!) that would be of interest. Feel free to post away!

Here goes... I'm going to try and follow the 2388 through assembly

Welcome to the Grand Islant Plant

The start of a 2388 frame.

The rotor cage

Cage with cone

Cage assembly installed in frame

Paint Prep

That's it for tonight... more in the coming days. Add your pictures to the thread for the rest of us to enjoy!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey canuck;

to what extnt does CnH manufacture in Grand Island vs asssemble. That is, how much do they cut, bend, weld and paint metal vs, assemble?

I noted that Toyota, Ford etc often have a third party do the fab work and concentrate on the value add of assembly. Just wondering if CnH has adopted that production theory as well.

Thanks,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi jj2...

From what I saw at the plant, anything part that could be made by cutting, making simple bends and welds was done at the plant. All the machining and major boring was done off-site. There were a lot of small parts being made. Of course, every piece at the plant is painted before assembly. There are a large number of paint racks that are constantly being pulled in a train like fashion to the paint area. Anything too large for a rack, goes on the overhead conveyor.

I've attached a few pictures...

Sheet steel sitting in the blue racks waiting to be selected for the laser cutters. Totally automated process. The laser cutters are behind the rack.

Various cut pieces.

700 tons (I think!)

Some parts fabricated or formed off site.

A 2388 cage assembly heading for the paint line

Parts on paint racks

More paint racks... yours truly is in the pic...guess which one!

That's it for tonight... more pics in the days ahead

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few more GI plant pictures from the 2388 assembly line for your enjoyment.

2388 Grain Tank

Auger Bed Assembly

New 2388 Engine Line

'06, 2388 Tier 3 Engine Close Up

To all the wonderful people on this board "Have a happy and prosperous new year!"

·
Registered
192 Posts
canuck, the pics are great. I have not been back to the GI plant since a year before they started production of the 2300's. It was interesting to see a 2388 that they took apart & then put back together to know how to work it into the production line. Keep up the good pics, cause I'm just a 100 miles from the plant & my girlfriend even wants to see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts