The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day (cutting beans) my 6620 developed a rumble when I was going up a hill on a slant or should I call it along the slope. I can't narrow it down. I have taken a bar and checked as many shafts as I can get one under and I can't find one that is obviously in bad shape. On the level it is hardly noticeable but on a side hill it is a subtle deep rumble like a cylinder bearing or something. Any ideas what I might check? The bearing on the pulley side of the cylinder was new about 750 hrs ago and seems tight and is quiet and smooth when I turn it by hand with the belt and pulley off. It is a single speed cylinder. I had a shot of rain and stuff is a little green yet. I would like to get the ole girl all ready for when the weather clears up but can't seem to figure this one out. I tried greasing different things to find it the other day and that didn't make it show up either. Any one have such a problem like this before. Thanks for any idea's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How full is the grain tank when this happens? I don't remember it being described as a rumble (think it was called a "vibration"), but some have had a problem with the cab mounts setteling (sp) and touching an "eye bolt" under the seat as the tank fills over a certain level (might have been on a 7720, 6620 may be different). A hillside might cause the same effect if enough grain is in the tank. Good luck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Check the final drives.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also check the spiders on th cylinder. They may have cracked out and or slid on the shaft so when on a side hill the bars are hitting the side of the cylinder housing

·
Registered
340 Posts
dirtcheap,,,, I hope you let us know what you find is making the noise... That's how we all learn. Beside's I've got a 6620 also.....

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so far I haven't found the total solution to the problem. I checked the finals, adjusted numerous belts, oiled chains, blew dirt out of everything I can find and cleaned the rock trap. The noise is less than it was but still is there. I will keep you updated things like this are a real pain and I hope I can find it before it finds me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts