The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem!!!
After we finished combining I pressure washed my combine and put it up for storage. I had to move it out of our shop the other day and when I opened the door I almost passed out!
The cab smelt like a crazy ammonia, rat, smell... I got in there and vacuumed out the air ducts and behind the radio and speakers. Is there something I can put in the cab to keep those little devils out? I threw down rat poison when I parked it but it didn't help. It still smells, not like before, is there anything to knock that smell down? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
blkeele, I usually put 2 of those "Fresh Cab" mouse pouches in the cab at the end of the fall. Also some bounce sheets and one of those christmas tree air fresheners. Never had a problem with anything getting in the cab. With all that stuff in the cab and the door not being opened, it will last all winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SDM. I put a couple of those cab fresh pouches in there and will put a air freshener in there along with some baking soda. I'll def. be ready for next years storage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What combine? We had mice in our 2388 this year, because when our mechanic removed a ant. line for a CB and didn't fill the hole in. The mechanic from the dealer said the only way for mice to get in the cab is if you put a hole in it. I put a bunch of rat and mice poison in a open cardboard box under the buddy seat. Two dead mice were found next to the windshield. You can get liquid odor neutrailizer from a store. It works good. Just leave it open in the cab.

-dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could also make a mixture of approx 50/50 of flour used for cooking and cement powder. Mix until a constant light grey in colour,place in an ice cream lid for example and level with a ruler and place wherever mice run and congregate. Place a supply of water in the area as well,eg in cabin and with the lid levelled off will give you an indication of how many mice around by the number of footprints through mixture. Mice will run through mixture, become thirsty, seek water,drink,go away and die with no smell.
Old trick in Australia during the 5 mice plagues I have been through.
Anther solution I've used also is to put some fat at the end of a wine bottle or similar,place it with neck over the end of a 60lt./13 gallon drum with 4 inches of water inside.Place a bag/hessian or similiar item that mice can crawl upto bottle then they try to crawl out to mouth of bottle to get to fat or similar food, slide off bottle , drown and end of story. Water rises with more mice captured. Filled 11 drums like this on one night during mouse plagues.
Hope this may help

·
Registered
159 Posts
Put moth balls in the cab, especially where you find evidence of the mice. Also, put out the mice and rat bait you can put a nail through and put these around the shop. This should get rid of them permanently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts