The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of a combine trailer. I'm thinking about making one but would like to get some ideas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep sure do. We really like ours, bought it from someone in Western Kansas, that I believe made it. One slight problem is that there is not quite enough weight on the truck, (might bring it in and take a foot or so off so that there will be more weight on the truck. Rides smooth, wish the ramps folded straight up, instead of having to man handle them and put them in the cradle. If you need more pictures of a specific part, just tell me.

Jacob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics. That's almost exactly what I was thinking about building. Except, I was thinking about making it expandable. This way when I didn't have a combine on it, I wouldn't have to worry about the width of the trailer.
What size wheels and tires are on the trailer? It does have a spring suspension doesn't it? I know air ride would be smoother but also more money.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10.00/20's are the same size as 11 22.5's. But you can get tubless 11 22.5 wheels that are alot safer than the 10.00/20 split rims. I believe there is a smaller wheel/tire(maybe a 15" wheel) combination that would get the trailer height lower. But I guess that depends on how the trailer is set up. I'd like it as low as possible. Then you don't have to worry about overhead things so much.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I was once told by the MN DOT that you can drive a wide load after dark so long as you have marker lights on the corners. I'm not saying it is safe, but that I was told it is legal. I think they said the rule was that you could not move a wide load between 10:00 PM and 4:00 AM or something silly like that.

Of course that was the only time I've ever dealt with the DOT, and I've got to say, I've got no love for that group. They had no clue about custom harvesters being exempt from the DOT health card thing, so they might easily have some other rules messed up too.

-Lance

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was off a little bit. 17.5 tires... wouldn't recommend using 17.5 tires to haul a 35000 lb tractor in the spring. Had to haul this tractor right after buying this trailer. Tires were no name brands, and pretty junky. Blew 4 or 5 on the trip. Now have pretty good Goodyeras on it. But still not recommended for that much weight. 22.5 would be much better.

Jacob

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, spring suspension. The spring ride works fine, as long as everything is strapped down tight. When the truck hits a bump you can feel the trailer pulling and then pushing. Wish we could take out a few feet where the front tire sits, or, take out the hump where the tires are, with the Gleaners both of the tires sit close and rub along that hump, so if we took it out, then could move the combine forward another couple feet, either way, that would be the best we could do besides adding air ride. Air ride still wouldn't solve the problem of the trailer jerking forward and backward. It rides good, but always can be improved;).... I am not sure on the tire size... will check when I get home. I wish ours was expandable too. Whenever we take a machine down, we have to leave at dawn and get back at dusk. Would be a lot more handier to have it expandable. Hoping to find another one, or trade in this one for one with 22.5 tires, and that is expandable. I know that the tires are older style rims... 1000 20's or something like that. Will do check tonight if I can remember. Possibly might be a big project here in a couple weeks:) Take care, keep me posted on what you do. Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somewhere on the side of the tire there should be the words "LOAD RANGE" with a letter after it. The letters start at A and go up the alphabet. The higher the letter, the more the tires are rated at. There should also be the amount of lbs. the tires can carry somewhere before the PSI rating.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If i were to build one i would go expandable on 17.5s (for height), spring suspension and a drive beside (ie drive past the wheels as opposed to over a hump). Just my .02

we have donahue trailers that have 17.5 tires and we have had real good luck with load range g toyos...when we first got our trailers they were on mostly kuhmos and old michelines and hwe had terrible tire trouble...like what jacobb talked about... we looked for trailers on 22.5's and ended up with these cause the price was right...before we more or less put all new tires on them...we really like the low load height witht he 17.5s though...12 inches from combine tire to ground...the only problem with that is that it will not always clear a curb...oops...

we have one expandable and 2 fixed widths....expandable is the only way to go..

here is a trailer on a sale in Garden City that is the same model as ours...this one has been modified to haul a tractor and cart though....
http://scottauction.com/GIF'S/CRIST/disc5/MVC-034S.JPG

·
Registered
167 Posts
BEH: Could you get some pictures of your expandable design. Have thought about building a trailer, but it would have to be expanadable, the trailer would sit out in the open with lots of sunlight and rain hitting it. Looked at one design once, but everything was all rusted, which might be impossible to have a design that won't rust. But wondering what you have. How wide and long is your trailer? Thanks

Jacob

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
[Removed bad URLs]

Thats about all I've got for pics of the trailers that would be useful in building one. They weren't exactly the focus of most of my pictures.

-Lance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts