The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw a question out here to see if I could get some results....let me start by saying I enjoy running these new combines with all the tech and operator conveniences..it seems to me that the wear parts seem to fail sooner than years ago. Now is it me or did our 1688 have better steel in her than our newer 2388...I had 6200 on a 1688 and never replaced the feeder floor, holes in bin, auger fliting, ect...now with that said was wondering if the steel didnt change how about the crops...harder seed?......I have stayed at the same acres over the years so it's not that im doing alot of ground crops like beans....only harvest 400 ac. Of beans...I know a buddy of mine runs green and he was saying the same thing ...I know its not just me or him cause by reading some of theses post guys are taking notice to.so I thought id ask....thanks for the imput have a great day

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something to think about is we are now running more bushels through at a faster pace than we were years ago. I know what you are saying, though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Something to think about is we are now running more bushels through at a faster pace than we were years ago. I know what you are saying, though.

i agree, i remember cutting 40 bu wheat with our m and m2 at around 2.5-3 mph with a 20' header. and now we can run 3-4mph with in that same crop with a 35' draper on our 2188. that is a huge increase in what's running through the combine.

I also think the way we clean our combines at the end of the season is a big factor. again with the m and m2 we just blew them off with the air compressor and drove them in the shed. now we blow off the combines then wash them 2 or 3 times before we put them up and metal/tin isn't just a huge fan of water especially if you don't get it 100% clean then you start rusting. it's getting water where water isn't intended to be.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I just wanted to throw a question out here to see if I could get some results....let me start by saying I enjoy running these new combines with all the tech and operator conveniences..it seems to me that the wear parts seem to fail sooner than years ago. Now is it me or did our 1688 have better steel in her than our newer 2388...I had 6200 on a 1688 and never replaced the feeder floor, holes in bin, auger fliting, ect...now with that said was wondering if the steel didnt change how about the crops...harder seed?......I have stayed at the same acres over the years so it's not that im doing alot of ground crops like beans....only harvest 400 ac. Of beans...I know a buddy of mine runs green and he was saying the same thing ...I know its not just me or him cause by reading some of theses post guys are taking notice to.so I thought id ask....thanks for the imput have a great day
I think poor quality is a problem throughout or society, driven by corporate profit. So the corp hires an economist or an engineer to cut cost for more profit. The engineer says we can cut material quantity by $5 on 100,000 units. The economist says we can cut material quality by $5 on the same 100,000 units.
The immediate result is the company saved/ made a million $ less the 2 professional salaries. The long term result is poor and inconsistent quality material (steel in this case) and less of it. We have way more highly engineered stuff now and less simple, reliable, and repairable stuff.
EG How many of our new electronic tractors, combines, pickup trucks are going to be useable in 40 years like the old ones are?
EG We think we are buying quality combines/parts- North American or German. The other day I picked up a new set of feeder chains for my Lexion from Claas. I was looking at the fine print under the Claas label and all the German print and noticed "Made in China". Extremely disappointing and likely a big part of the decline in quality you are noticing.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I haven't noticed any dramatic change in wear rates. I remember helping to change out a worn-out cone on a 1680 after 6 or 7 seasons. Also remember rebuilding the tin in the bottoms of elevators and augers on a 7720.

From what I can see the wear surfaces since the 2188 to present are a lot more heavy duty than the old 1600 series. Our 2188 was traded off after 7 seasons on it's factory (heavy duty) cone. 2388 the same.

So given that the newer machines have a much higher throughput and don't seem to be wearing holes in the tin at a high rate, I'd say overall quality has increased. At least the structural and high wear stationary parts. Can't speak to the chains, bearings, and such. I think modern structural steel and sheet metal is probably much more consistent in quality than 30 years ago. Can't speak to the moving parts made in China.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Exactly. If you put the pencil to bushels per hour, you will likely find similar results thru the model year ranges.

However, I think some of the new grain varieties also may play a role in combine wear. Definitely if you used to grow a wider range of crop rotations, things would wear different than corn on corn for the last ten years.

Here's an old thread I made of my combine wear to compare to other areas and crops. Not meant to mean anyting. Just for fun and information is all.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I do agree with some of the statements made as for crops per ac on a hour base ...that has not changed nor has my heads got any bigger due to the small feilds..I cut corn with a 6 30 and a 4 38 and a 30 draper...if I go to fast I end up in the garden lol....I ll keep reading thanks for the replies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts