The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working on the low speed shaft monitors on my 7720, I got to thinking. With all the electronics on the newer combines, how long before they start giving problems?

·
Registered
944 Posts
With just normal wear and tear, that sends shivers down my spine thinking about the wiring nightmare. Now what happens when the farmers worst enemy, the mouse gets into one of these wire monsters. I know first hand that a wiring problem is frustrating and labour expensive. ...Neil

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes by all means keep the machine clean.
During harvest I try to clean our 8820 everyday.It's a dirty job
but if done everyday it's actually easier to do since the dust and chaff doesn't get a chance to build up and blows clean more easily
.It also allows one to more closely examine the machine for fluid leaks,loose nuts and bolts and other potential problems
.Post harvest you also want to clean all remaining grain out of the grain tank as well as other areas of the machine
.And clean out the cab too
basically remove ANYTHING rodents will eat or make a nest out of.Try to store the machine in a clean shed also.I've learned this lesson the hard way with a skid-steer loader
the mice found their way into the electronic instrument display panel
which we had to replace for $400
so we don't want to do this again.Don't overlook proper battery maintenance either
.So many things depend on proper voltage(not too high or low).Me being from a cold climate such as Mn. I'm still concerned about the effect that subzero temps during winter will have on this newer electronic gear
.There can be a lot of flexing in the plastic which all of these printed circuit boards are encased in so the jury is still out on what will happen to these things when they get some age to them(10 or 15 or 20 yrs?)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main problem on my 7720 is the wiring harness connections. Sometimes they just don't get a good connection. You can move a harness alittle and usually stop the buzzing but not always. I'm sure the newer combines use the weather-pack connectors which should be far superior to the ones on a 7720.

·
Registered
289 Posts
[quote author=hogman2002 The main problem on my 7720 is the wiring harness connections. Sometimes they just don't get a good connection. You can move a harness alittle and usually stop the buzzing but not always. I'm sure the newer combines use the weather-pack connectors which should be far superior to the ones on a 7720.
[/quote]

Put some dielectric grease in your connectors. It is not easy to find, but it is the only grease that conducts electricity. So it helps make a connection and at the same time keeps the moisture out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think I would try point and contact cleaner 1st (also available at a locally friendly autoparts store)but be carefull with this stuff as it can dissolve certain plastic parts if they are near the connection
.Try some on a small area where you can remove it right away before it does damage.Ask a knowledgeable parts store worker what might work best

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried point and contact cleaner from John Deere. It didn't work. But I never thought about dielectric grease. I know you can get it from Napa because I have a tube somewhere, I just have to find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts