The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,380 Posts
Quote:i cant beleive it doesnt break an axel or something from all the weight

Matt

Matt, that combine's frame and supporting members were fully reinforced, gusseted and braced for the bin. Also, one must know the fields on which it runs, are billiard table-smooth, too.

· Registered
5,380 Posts
Connor, I only WISH the old 7700 had a 2.5 bu/sec unloading rate. Go back and read the specs for this model. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I do remember something like 1.3 or 1.5. For its day, that was competitive. Also remember that the Model 7700 began as the world's largest combine, too. As soon as the Massey-Ferguson 760 went into production, the J.D. 7700 became the world's second-largest combine, which again, was nothing to scoff.

· Registered
5,380 Posts
Quote:
I had a 7720 in the shop the other day and just for the fun of it meassured the width of its feeder house. To no surprise it was exactly the same width as our modern day STS's have.

That is interesting, Ralf. I've never been around the STS enough to notice anything like such, but for a single rotor bine, that IS a rather wide feeder house. Typically, with an axial or longitudinal configuration, the rotor's diameter only needs a feeder as wide as it.

My amazement was in 1981, upon seeing one of the first Axial-Flows in Tarrant County, Texas, was how that really narrow neck kept up with a 24-foot header without slugging itself. I knew then, that it had to run at a higher speed, more slats per linear foot or both.

· Registered
5,380 Posts
Kirschenman, just what is the feeder house width on the A-F's? If I remember correctly, it's around 40 inches for the TR's. The A-F's seemed to be narrower.

Don, I really don't have the answer as to just how the narrower neck on the Flows really do as good as they do, but the old 1480 can outdo a 7700.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.