The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10.9 and for some reason my rotors will just slow down and “plug” but the combine isn’t plugged I can go and pull the canola through by hand with the slug wrench. If I try to start the thresher a warning saying the threshing cl gearbox temp is too hot. So I’m guessing that that clutch is slipping and getting hot. I don’t know why. When I started the canola I had the rotors in high speed at 1000rpm but I was ripping the coating off so I slowed them down to 800rpm. Then this plugging would happen. So I switched the rotors to low gear and running them at 700rpm (max) and it still plugs. I have the dsp drum (front drum/ accelerator) in low speed. The mechanics in town think I’m peeling the canola because there’s not enough in the rotors so put the dsp in high speed and run the rotors at 1000rpm. So I’m going to try that but I have my doubts. Does anyone know why that oil would be getting so hot causing that clutch to slip?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check your rotor drive belt for canola oil on it. It doesn't take much of a canola leak to get the belt slippery. The threshing clutch temp warning is fairly common on them if started under load.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Get them to check out the torque converter. Our CR8090 had a similar problem. It happened pretty suddenly though. Shop initially thought it was the primary gearbox but fortunately figured out it was the torque converter as they were taking things apart to get to the gearbox. (much easier and cheaper fix)
The shop gave us the classic "we've never seen this problem before". So be prepared to get the same from your shop if you suggest checking it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m thinking it canola on the drive belt as well. As already mentioned, it does not take much at all. Haven’t run a new holland yet that didn’t have quite a few seams duck taped in the tank. Even last new 8.9.

We always run the DSP in low speed for everything. Even wheat with rotors at max rpm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking it was the torque converter. Today was well still am combining canola again but I have the rotors going at 1000 and I moved my concave extension to the outer hole and it seams to be working a bit better. I’m still under powered though I’m going 1mph slower then a 2014 8090 chipped and a 2012 9090 which I should be going same speed if not faster then them. It not loosing engine rpm but my engine load sky rockets if I try go 3mph in this canola.

Also my Thresh cl temp is normal 130ish while I’m combing. When I shut the thresher or unloading auger of it goes up to 170-180F Then when I engage the thresher it goes up over 200F

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Get a non contact thermometer and check to see what your gear box is. It may not read as warm as your gearbox sensor says but you can see if the temperature are changing as much as the sensor says they are.

And a 10.90 should walk all over a 9090

1 - 9 of 9 Posts