The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year again, and I am pulling my hair out trying to set my R62 for canola. As of right now I am running my rotor at 800 , chaffer at about 3/4 open and the lower sieve at about 3/8". Fan is at 6.5. I seem to be loosing it out the sieves and am not sure what else to try. Just looking for any help I can get. Wondered about trying less wind. I usually run my wind at about 6.5-7. Seems like it takes lots of air to stir things up in the back end, otherwise with seeds just ride out in the pod(my experience from past years. I am also travelling at 3.5 mph. possible too fast?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Try rotor 700,chaffer 3/8 ,sieve 1/8,wind @5. and 5/8 concave. Run rotor slower when drier. It will do a great job for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Its that time of year again, and I am pulling my hair out trying to set my R62 for canola. As of right now I am running my rotor at 800 , chaffer at about 3/4 open and the lower sieve at about 3/8". Fan is at 6.5. I seem to be loosing it out the sieves and am not sure what else to try. Just looking for any help I can get. Wondered about trying less wind. I usually run my wind at about 6.5-7. Seems like it takes lots of air to stir things up in the back end, otherwise with seeds just ride out in the pod(my experience from past years. I am also travelling at 3.5 mph. possible too fast?
I dont think there is any hard and fast rules. Every year is different but one thing I hav e learnt is keep ikt a good flow of material going through or the wind will blow it out. Maybe go faster???? But I would cut the wind back by half, slow the rotor down to about 400, top sieve half inch, bottom sieve nearly flat, about 3/16. Dry canola takes very little to seperate and your settings would be OK for wheat but I dont think canola. FWIW Another thing. If you are bashing the stalks up with too much rotor speed they are probably ending up on the chaffer with the thrashed canola and making it harder to seperate hence going out he back. Keep the stalks virtually untouched by slowing the rotor down and put them out the spreader, not on the sieves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wind should be 4-5 bottom sieve almost closed does your r62 have small grains wind deflector? what condition is your excell rollers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no small grain wind deflector. and my excel rollers are in fair condition. What do people find is acceptable for grain loss? I am throwing a pan down that is maybe 2.5 square feet and getting about a tablespoon of loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go out and buy yourself the small grains wind deflector. It will pay for itself in a real hurry in canola and it is a fairly easy install. Made a huge difference on our R-72. And settings very similar to what Trent posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If i remember correctly it shows it in the manual for the combine. Basically it is a adjustable steel deflector that is directly in front of the fan to reduce air flow through the sieves. Definitely slow the rotor and open the concave up to reduce the material being broke up and dropped on the sieves and slow the fan and it should help the losses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and installed a Chaffer board from PFP. Was told it would make a world of difference. Went out yesterday and tried it out. So far I don't see any difference. Going to play around with it more today. Having a hard time getting a clean sample with it installed. I'm getting lots of long sticks in the clean grain. I am going to try closing my Chaffer down, but I am wondering if the board isn't allowing the long sticks to go over the back of the combine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts