The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have spent in excess of 20 hours cutting hemp of the beater. I think all you can do is try it at a different humidity. Likely lower humidity but have heard of guys say that when it was too dry not good either. Was hoping they eliminated that problem with the newer varieties.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Finished my hemp a few days ago - thank God

I ll tell you one thing- when the hemp is wrapping, there is nothing u can do - but invest in a OLFA knife

Last year was worst I ever seen for wrapping- this year was a walk in the park -

All you can realistically do is cut higher-
I know you d like to get all the available seed- but there ain't much seed on that 4 inches you leave if your whacking the tops off - and this way you keep the machine moving

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Yah cut high and don't be too set on doing the whole field. Cut out the green spots and come back later. Also JD sells some parts that you removed some flighting on the back of the rotor and replace them with some pieces that are kinda like paddles to help push it into the beater. Also, a beater speed up kit wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
269 Posts
WOW!...Around here...drug enforcement agents and local fuzz get together and cut the hemp..then burn it!...They call it marijuana.

Grows wild in places..left over from being cultivated back in the 1920's/30's for whatever use(rope making I think). Makes the cops look busy...DEA choppers flying over looking for weed...law enforcement in camo chopping down weed and burning it...news cameras recording the entire spectacle...

Probably not enough THC in a square bale of wild hemp to get high from

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Thats a matter of opinion, our gross income on hemp last year was $515/ac. Fertilizer is similar to canola, there aren't any chemicals registered for weed control in hemp, seed cost is high. Was it worth the trouble? Nope. There is potential for 1200lbs/ac & $0.85/lbs, our first year we had a huge crop but we had huge losses due to wind because our combines were broken & couldn't get it off. In our experience Deere STS don't like hemp, however my neighbour had a great time with his S680 in a 1/4 of hemp. It really depends on the year. I won't be growing it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.