The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving along about a week and a half ago. It was -28 'c with about a 40 km wind. I could see lights out in a field. and what do you know in was two CR 970's with 36 foot honeybees doing corn. those poor combines had not shut off for over a week. My cousin was in the field with them that morning and it was -38 when they were going. i can only imagine the things that will break ant that temp. the corn headers they have had stopped working in the cold so they had to switch to the drappers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How much corn do they have to leave them running for a week? Pipeline guys never shut their equipment off for along time last winter while pushing trees.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
561 Posts
I take it that is the boys at Lucky Lake? How are the honeybee's working in the corn? They were just running the one with the corn header at Christmass time and roading the combine to town into the shop every night. I heard they were gonna try a Honeybee later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i heard they had about 4000 acres of corn. i heard they chopped some of it becasue there was hardly anything in it. i was suppose to truck for them with my truck when they got going but i guess they didn't need extra trucks. my guess would be busheling in the 50-60 range. I have run honeybees down to -25 doing sunflowers in december. we always let the combines idle with everything running for 10 or 15 minutes just to get the oil warm in the header drive. i suppose i lighter weight oil at that temp would work well but who really plans on being out there at that temp.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's a different color but the local cutter who runs a huge fleet of green machines was reportedly having the operators set a brick on the seat and then they'd start the seperator and header and just let'em idle while the crew caught up on sleep. That way machines and cornheads wouldn't stiffen up. They've traded most of the fleet for new machines and any combine that was used for this harsh brutal winter harvest has definitely gone thru total heck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts