The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving along about a week and a half ago. It was -28 'c with about a 40 km wind. I could see lights out in a field. and what do you know in was two CR 970's with 36 foot honeybees doing corn. those poor combines had not shut off for over a week. My cousin was in the field with them that morning and it was -38 when they were going. i can only imagine the things that will break ant that temp. the corn headers they have had stopped working in the cold so they had to switch to the drappers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i heard they had about 4000 acres of corn. i heard they chopped some of it becasue there was hardly anything in it. i was suppose to truck for them with my truck when they got going but i guess they didn't need extra trucks. my guess would be busheling in the 50-60 range. I have run honeybees down to -25 doing sunflowers in december. we always let the combines idle with everything running for 10 or 15 minutes just to get the oil warm in the header drive. i suppose i lighter weight oil at that temp would work well but who really plans on being out there at that temp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts