The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor who wants to know if I could combine some oats for him, hard to find someone who will. I can buy a pickup head for not a lot of money. I have both a TR86 and a TR70, which would work better since the 86 has the S3 rotors and the 70 has the standard rotors? Never did oats before, and he wants to know ASAP so he can chop the crop if he needs to. Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have talked to a few people and they say the rotary combines chew the straw up more than the conventionals, but you get a much better quality of oats in the bin. Also was told the 86 rotors would tear the straw up more than the old style long rasp bars in the 70. I was hoping to get rid of my TR70 since I don't use it much any more, (already sold one of my 974 6 row corn heads).

·
Registered
628 Posts
They are not too bad on the oat straw as you can have the concave fairly open for oats we have had good luck bailing behind our combines(TR98 & CR9060) with a New Idea soft core baler.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got the head bought. I was wondering if you had a small grain machine or a corn soybean. The farmer with the head is letting me have the bottom sieve he ran and a pair of small grain concave extensions. What sieves are you running top and bottom? My book says rotor speed about 1000 and fan at 650, is that what you run?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ours are small grain combines set up for Western Canada I don't know what sieves we have but with the 98 and the old 86 we used to have I don't like to run the rotor under 1100rps as it can be hard on belts. The fan usually run wide open but we always do kill stops to get it set right in the field.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the first guy I need to do the oats for must have told 2 others about it and now I have to do 20 more acres of oats for one person and another has some barley. According to the book they want 1500 rotor rpm. I'm new to this small grain thing so any advice, anyone?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have combined lots of oats straight and swathed. I would try a rotor speed of 1000 if its dry keep bumping it up if it chokes. Fan speed about 800. Top sieve wide open to perhaps 3/4. Bottom keep open enough to not let let to much trash in. Concaves try 6. Rotor speed u adjust to keep from choking but not hulling the oats. Barley should be simialer, concave about 4 and bottom sieve tighter. Adjust rotor speed to thresh but not peel. Combines here usualy have small grain concaves and the larger corn sieves. Good luck. Feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My combine has perforated bottom auger covers on the clean geain and tailings augers, probably need to put on solid ones? How about a rigid air foil chaffer? I have a new one I bought for my TR70 but never used yet because I was told they won't work with corn over 20% moisture. I have a Harvest Services bottom sieve in my TR86,it has plastic louvers and the spacing is closer than the factory New Holland bottom sieve. I called them today and they suggested I use the New Holand bottom sieve, I believe it's a 11/16" spacing and use the old bottom sieve I replaced on top. Should I put the small wires in the main concaves?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Look in the manual, i believe the corn setup bottom sieve is a small grain top sieve, this is the reasoning for doing what they suggested. For some reason the small grain combines here came with the large sieves. I see no advantage to changing the top sieve unless you go to a air foil. I would use all the concave wires in, others will differ. The theory is you need full wire to thresh, wires out to separate. I find you need to thresh and the grain will separate, unthreshed grain gets thrown over, threshed does not. A big thing is the rear beater plates, at least use the large one. With no plates trash overloads the chaffer and may not throw all the straw to the chopper. Solid elavator doors are all i have seen, i prefer my weeds in the hopper, not the field.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I finally got a break in the rain and got some oats through the machine today. I had to turn around at all the wet spots so only got about half of the field done. I have the rotor speed at 1000, concaves at 6 and fan speed down to 600. Seems to be getting them really clean. I put all the small wires in the concaves. It seems to be chewing the straw up a lot, anything to be done for that? Lower rotor speed? Remember this oats has been ready for combining 3 weeks now, but just got cut down last Friday.
The oats seem pretty dark in color, not yellow like they should be.

I also noticed a couple other combine problems. When I turn around on the ends and am steering fast, it seems like the hydraulics can't keep up with the steering motor. It also sounds like there is air in the system, but just when turning the steering wheel. The hydaulic pump was new last fall and this problem came after the pump was replaced.
Also, sometimes when lifting or lowering the feeder house the monitor console will flash and all the lights will come on and the beeper goes off, then go back to normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts