The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 9240 from my local Case dealer last fall. 1100 engine hours, MY15, so it’s got the 16 litre Iveco with DEF. When I was transporting it home from the dealer, it logged a fault code for low coolant pressure at water pump inlet. So I stuck my combustion gas tester on the surge tank and the liquid changed colour, indicating combustion gas was present. Called the dealer, they tested it and found the same thing. They opened a case file and they are being told it’s either a cracked liner or head. Anyone else run into this before?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What pressure are you getting in the overflow tank? If you don’t have a gauge to test that, get the machine up to operating temp and try and squeeze the hose going into the top of the radiator. If it’s super hard you likely have a cracked head.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Doesn't sound good either way - will dealer fix it under warranty - either through case or their own . Sounds like the previous owner dumped it because of the problem . Have a 450 quad and have changed antifreeze because neighbor had liner cavitate through because of antifreeze - these engines don't have the filter on them that you can change to put new SCA blocks in to prevent cavitation and is the antifreeze a sca type or long life at least ? If it is regular green I would get a test strip to see if it has any sca protection .

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes this isn’t sounding good.
Friend had one of these iveco in a case ih 4wd tractor.
Cracked head for whatever reason.
He was long past warranty so the entire bill was his.
Not sure yet just how common a problem this has been just yet.
Iveco parts are pretty outrageous from what I hear.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Has anyone offered a theory for the low coolant pump intake pressure warning? It could be a poor connection on the sensor or an out of spec sensor.

I suspect it’s maintaing its coolant volume just fine, but it sure would be nice to know that before you need to use it. The coolant hoses are going to be as firm as the pressure cap relief pressure is all I can say about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a bottle test and never had any bubbles coming out of the overflow, so I think whatever is going on is just starting. I never did check to see what the pressure was. As soon as they did the gas test and it failed, I took it back to their shop, because I haven’t even logged one rotor hour since buying the unit. I was wondering if anyone knows how logged fault codes work with Iveco, or if there is some sort of history totals for events like overheating, like a Cat. Then I could have them check the history to see if this has been going on for a while, or just starting.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I did a bottle test and never had any bubbles coming out of the overflow, so I think whatever is going on is just starting...... Then I could have them check the history to see if this has been going on for a while, or just starting.

On the tractors the code history can be read on the cab corner post. It can only display a count up to 13 events that have been reset after that it continues to count the fault occurrences but doesn’t show a higher total number. Once it has had the code reset hit 50 times for that code, it will go into a limp mode or a continuous alarm. Then the ECU must be replaced.

In the situation where this happened that I’m referring to it was a high fuel pressure code, when in fact the pressure was not exceeding the maximum allowed, it was just too high for the given parameters because one turbo bushing was worn causing the back side of the turbine to rub on the the body producing intermittent low boost. (We think) it seems to be fixed after also fixing resistance on the plugged secondary fuel filter sensor connections and replacing the turbo and ECU, a couple of fuel pressure sensors and fuel rail relief valve.

I would be cautious about putting too much faith in a chemical gas test designed to work on something as small as a 1.5 litre automotive engine when applying the result to that 16 litre diesel behemoth that’s just itching to make 1000 HP, maybe?

Now, if you used 6 or 8 times the volume of test fluid and it still changed colour, that would be a bit more concerning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am always a little sceptical of the fluid test as well. Although, the one I used I believe is meant for heavy duty. It’s a Cummins part number for the fluid and the tester. The one the dealer used can be used for either. The fluid turns different colours depending if it’s gasoline or diesel. The fact that it failed both on mine and theirs, along with the low pressure fault codes, is what worries me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any other components on that engine where exhaust can enter the cooling system? I didn’t have a chance to look at the engine system before parking it back at the dealers. Is the turbo liquid cooled? I’ve read some old Cursor 16 manuals and they talk about an exhaust flap? Does this have it? Is it also liquid cooled?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I’m not real familiar with the 16 litre, I only drove one on a demo for a day. As far as I can recall the turbos on the smaller engine in the large tractors uses traditional oil cooling, but I wasn’t the person that changed it out, so I don’t actually know. The head gasket could also cause this weird symptom. I would have fingered it as the most likely problem, but they will have their reasons for their guesses based on service trends.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,726 Posts
Pretty sure there has been a run of “porous” heads here in OZ a few years back.........

Wouldn’t think it would still be a problem in a late model machine like that tho..........

No bubbles in your header tank is a good sign but you would need the thing up at harvest temps to be sure

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, hard to get the thing past 178 just testing. It did almost touch 200 just transporting on he flat. Don’t know if that’s normal or not. I don’t know where that combine would run normally. My last combine was a 7120 and it would run 180-190 doing the same thing, but totally different engine and emissions, so really no comparison.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone offered a theory for the low coolant pump intake pressure warning? It could be a poor connection on the sensor or an out of spec sensor.

I suspect it’s maintaing its coolant volume just fine, but it sure would be nice to know that before you need to use it. The coolant hoses are going to be as firm as the pressure cap relief pressure is all I can say about that.
J

When I say it’s going to be firm, I mean the hose is going to be rock hard, to the point you can’t even squeeze it. System pressure should be around 17 psi if I recall correctly. This is how I’ve diagnosed dozens of cracked heads/blown head gaskets in 6.0L fords.

I’m not real familiar with the 16 litre, I only drove one on a demo for a day. As far as I can recall the turbos on the smaller engine in the large tractors uses traditional oil cooling, but I wasn’t the person that changed it out, so I don’t actually know. The head gasket could also cause this weird symptom. I would have fingered it as the most likely problem, but they will have their reasons for their guesses based on service trends.
You’re right, the turbos are oil cooled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve seen cooling system pressure used when diagnosing head gasket failures, but I’ve never used it myself. Do you think that without having any bubbles out the overflow and a low coolant pressure codes being set, that it would still pressure up?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a tech can connect a laptop to a location under the buddy seat and monitor or possibly even record a graph of the cooling system pressure from that coolant pump intake pressure sensor. It would seem to me that this is what it was intended for but I don’t know. Maybe you can take it out on the road and climb a hill to load it?

There would need to be a very serious gasket leak or a crack for the gas volume to exceed the gas flow volume capacity of the radiator cap, which is just a rudimentary relief valve.

I think most 6 litre fords could demonstrate that at some point. ;);)

Keep in mind you have never had a high pressure warning, only a low one! And no visually detectable bubbles

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Does this machine have a pressurized metal coolant tank located above the head like the tractors? If so it likely should be 100% full. Sometimes the coolant volume can get low in that tank if the final plastic coolant recovery tank routinely siphons itself empty on cool off.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
It could be that the tractors only need that tank above the engine because the radiator is mounted so low in relation to the head because of the downward sloped hood.

We had a 50’s era bulldozer once with a non presuized cooling system that would crack the rear head if you were working it nose down into a hole.
On a combine this would be a left to right tilt issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts