The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traded 2366 on a 9660 sts. Has anybody run a 9660 sts beside a 2388 in wheat and how did they compare? We have run 2366 beside older 9600 & 2388 in wheat so I know how they compare.Fitted with 30 ft fronts and wheat going 1.5 /2 tons per acre.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:Some people will say the Deere is better and others will say the Case is better. I say the the Deere is better

I would hope you have the facts to back up your statement. I happen to have an sts and 2388 myself. I feel that the 2388 is a better machine than the sts in most crops because I get cleaner grain tank in each crop except edibles. Also maintenance and reliablity is a whole lot better with the 2388 than the sts. The only reason I still have the sts is beause it really shines in the edible beans. I mean I can go twice as fast as I can or more in edible beans with the sts than I could ever do with a 2388 and 9600-10 I had before the sts and get less splits and fm. If I didn't grow edible beans, the sts would be gone. These are just from my observation of what I have on my farm.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Its because I like Deere better then Case not that John Deere makes a better combine then Case, It is because I personaly like John Deere better. Some people like Case better then Deere and some like Deere better than case, its not that one is better then the other. Both have there ups and downs. But like I said I (myself) likes the green.

·
Registered
693 Posts
hfh...........

We run a 2388 and a 575 lexion.......

We also grow edibles and feel the 2388 does not provide as good a sample as the lexion, which in some ways the sts and lex. are very similar.

Does your 88 have the AFX rotor? We trade our old 97 model off on a new 05 model and am somewhat amazed at how much better it handles the Navy's......Only the sample is not as good......not bad........but as you know..........Those boys doing the grading take their time and pull out the lighted microscope to evaluate what you get paid, so long story short......Sample is key!
Anyway, just thinking out loud here in that maybe the in cab controls (assuming your sts has those) are what makes a 2388 sample not as good? Maybe Navy's just like the cylinder .
........ I mean single tine.
........I mean precleaner.
.......I mean accelerator.
..........better than pure rotors?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Combiness..........

I will spend time getting my bio up soon. WC Minnesota is where we grow these table beans. I beleive North Dakota is the leader in production, Michigan grows allot too.

They were very good to us this year. Next should be interesting, as usuall more people jump in to grow them.

Our Navy's get shipped to Bush's for their baked beans.

·
Registered
72 Posts
so what is the yeild on the navy's and are they in any way similar to planting a crop of soybeans? I really do not like how in my area we are so specialized with corn/soybeans and nothing else of significance. I live in SW Ia, and maybe the growing season is wrong for the navy's anyway, but still sounds interesting.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Well, I can testify that while soys are really quite tasty, nothing in the world beats good old table beans! Yum!
Yes, I do sometimes open a can of Bush's in a pinch, but I still prefer to cook my own beans. If you can get navy's, great northerns or other beans to grow where you are in Iowa, good luck. If they grow in Minn and Mich, I don't see why Iowa would be unfavorable.

Personally, I'd like to see some custom harvesters and farmers coordinate in an effort to get varieties of edible beans and rice in bulk, down here to Oklahoma. Maybe I could resell some locally, being of better quality and fresher than those in some stores. I would not mind paying the inflated store prices [typically .60 to .70/lb] if the farmer only got at least half of that! Yes, I prefer buying my beans in 25 to 50-lb bags if I can, and enough stock to last the fiscal year.

Too bad brown rice is sooo hard to find around here for for a reasonable price, let alone, bulk.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ill send you a PM (now that Combiness showed me how)..........

Just a suggestion, I think a new thread should be started when the subject matter takes a turn from the original post..........Not quite fair to the origianal poster.

But its all good!
If anyone wants to know more, pm me or start a new thread.
Alway's happy to share.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts