The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, been enjoying the forum for awhile now, this is the first time iI have submitted a question. Just purchased a '95 9600 with 1300 sep hours..very excited about this years harvest season, have a few buddys with 9610's..Can anyone give me a list of the major differences between the two models? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. Rear lighting package

2. Sieve lights

3. Fan on feederhouse to keep dust down

4. Two function readouts instead of just one on the cornerpost

5. Digital readout for the concave clearance instead of the sight gauge outside on the right side

6. More horsepower

I'm sure there are others. This is just off the top of my head. I ran a 9600 with two 9610s one year, and I had no problem keeping up with the 10s. I know you could really tell the difference at night. Those feederhouse fans on the 10s did a great job of reducing the dust hanging infront of the feederhouse. The rear lights and sieve lights came in handy, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It does. If I remember right, instead of the flat notched adjustment rod, the 9610s have a long crank to reach the precleaner. The 10s have hand adjustments levers on the chaffer and sieve, so that did away with that flat adjuster. Made it alot easier to adjust the sieve. I should also mention that you should be able to get a kit to update any or all of these features on a 9600.

·
Registered
173 Posts
our 9510 doesn't have the feederhouse fan, so that must be an option. the long crank is why i was wondering about the precleaner, never seen one on the return elevator like on the 10s. I've been told were a bunch of differences between the two series, almost as many as the titan II series and the 9x00 series (internal, not cab and electronics), however, I dont know if i believe this because I can't think of what the differences would be.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There is no difference in cylinder width or diameter. Jody did a good job of listing most of the primary differences. Mostly convenience items, little in the way of higher productivity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey folks! This has been great, really glad i posted the question! I have been really impressed with the posts in the forum since i discovered it...looking forward to participating! Good Luck on the Land!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just analyzing your name, dkspud, I would assume you are in the dakotas along the river growing spuds. You got a very good machine. A 95 9600 with those hours will be requiring some rebuild pretty quick, unless you bought it rebuilt. But, it will cut alongside the 9610 foot for foot. That is one of the best year's JD built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually tractor8100, i farm in a Prince Edward Island, the smallest province in Canada, we grow potatoes as well as grains and beans. What kind of rebuild are you referring to? We purchased the machine from a local JD dealer, serviced and ready..what should i keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Search the archives. There is a post on things to look for/ repair on the walker machines. There is very little difference from the first 9600 to the last 9650 walker machines.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Actually, rebuild may be overexaggerated. Our experience with the 9x00 walkers is around 1,300-1,400 hours is when we start spending on wear parts, such as cylinder bars, shaker arms, walker blocks if they have not been greased amply, some of the chains and belts, nothing major. Normal stuff. If your dealer backs it up as ready to go, then you should be ok. Up to that hour range, we never spent a dime or had a problem with any of our walker machines. We had a new 1994 9400, put 1,300 hours on it, then traded for a 1999 9410, put about 1300 hours on it before we had it gone through by our dealer, spent maybe $5,000. It now has about 2,100 hours on it and nothing major on the horizon. Just grease the walker blocks everyday. We cut wheat, grain sorhum (milo) and soybeans.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Or you could get rid of the greasable walker blocks and go back to wood, they are cheaper and wont attract as much dirt as the greasables and you wont waste money on grease, I was using near three tubes a day on greasing them and they still at the end of the day had more dirt than grease. Never had shaker arm problems. the 10s had a better engine fan shaft system than the 9600.
I disagree with bent on the changes between the 00s and the 50 walkers, there are numerous improvments over the years, the clean grain elevator is one significant example of improvement on the 50 walker.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The fan option could only be added with variable speed feeder house. 9610 has 8.1L engine with 275 hp, 9600 has 7.6L with 250-260 hp (hi-power option) and 190-215 hp (low power option) depending on year.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The fan option could only be added with variable speed feeder house. 9610 has 8.1L engine with 275 hp, 9600 has 7.6L with 250-260 hp (hi-power option) and 190-215 hp (low power option) depending on year.

Is the 9510 a sidehill version? I don't think you could get the dustfan on a SH9510 either.

·
Registered
321 Posts
7. Improved shielding

8. 13 bar concave

9. Sundial shoe adjustment/crank for precleaner

10. You could factory order a reverser gearbox oil cooler

11. Larger, easier to service air cleaner

·
Registered
590 Posts
Actually, our shaker arm problem showed up on our 10 series around 1300 hours, none on the 00. We had walker block problems on the 00 show up around 1300 hours. On the 10, greased more often and have not had walker block problems at 2000+ on the 10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts