The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to people opinions that have run both of these machines. From what I have read over the years on these combines, I have taken away that the Case (2588) might be a bit better at saving corn and maybe a touch more reliable, but that the STS is .5 mph better in soybeans.

I am very interested in opinions from people that tinker a little to get better results. We run a Case 2577, and we weren't very impressed with corn loss when we set it by the book. We have since found out that for us we can make the loss almost non existant by pulling every other wire out of the concave, running the rotor at very slow speeds (250-280) (helps seperation dramatically), and by changing the front vanes over the concave only to retard flow. We only have an 8 row head, but can run as fast as the head will allow us to.

I have also heard that sts combines can do a way better job in corn by installing bars (interrupters) in the concave area. Maybe there are other great tricks for this machine as well.

Does everyone agree that a 9660 will out eat a 2588 in soybeans. I know these comparisons are very subjective. Heck, it took a year of tinkering to find out the perfect settings for our combine in corn. So I understand that an improperly set machine can make that machine perform worse than the same exact combine.

Thoughts and opinions please.

F

·
0 Posts
Re: comparisons- 9660sts vs. 2588 corn and soybean

I think that you might find that every one agrees to disagree on here

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

We have a draper on our 2577, but you can put a draper on the sts also. I understand that a draper gives either combine an advantage, but I just want to know what each color would perform like given the same head, respectively.

I will say that the 2577 is a class 5 machine, and with the 30 foot draper it will out eat the 670 challenger we had with a 30 foot head.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track with your combine. Our 2588 was throwing corn out the back on top. Retarded all vanes, not much help, pulled wires in the front half of the front half, made great differance, like you say. I now am running helical concaves, keystock grates, and vanes in mid position, very minimal rotor loss. I purchased a set of disruptors to go even farther. I now run four straight bars, but they will be removed when I install disruptors. Goodluck on your decision. We tried a 9660 with 25 footer. It would do more than our 99 2388 but the 2588 would be hard to beat imo. I don't know an answer to your question, but I would stick with the 25, unless you want a more shiney, "luxury" combine. ( i might get bashed) I would sure go 7120 before deere. Goodluck

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Seedcleaner, we have the keystock grates in our combine. Our combine came with 4 straight seperater bars, and we added four more. We ended up taking the extra four bars back out because I don't think they helped anything at all. The vanes helped just enough to justify it, but it wasn't the major help either. It mainly just helped to get all the corn off of the cob at slower rotor speeds, and the slower rotor speeds are what really helped with separation loss. I wish an aftermarket company made something that looked like the front rasp bars on the new holland rotor. I think this would help in corn. It wouldn't be hard either to just change out the front few rasp bars. I really can't say it is that big of a deal though since the original design can be made to be really good.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

Oh yeah, you need a set of Gordon Bars and helical concaves if you want to push it even more in corn. Goodlcuk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts